General

Are metal bed frames better?

Currently have a Divan bed as I've always been told they're good for heavier people, they've been great over the years, made from wood. However, I've actually heard that a steel or metal frame would actually be better. I've seen some that holds thousands of pounds. Has anyone had one of these frames before? Better than wood?
7 months

I broke two wooden box springs before forking over the money for a metal frame that my mattress goes right on top of haven’t needed anything else since also wasn’t terribly expensive I’d recommend it if it’s time for a new bed!
7 months

I have to say that I love my metal frame. I splurged for an adjustable bed that helps with digestion and incidentally makes intimacy a bit more comfy 😉 and has a very high capacity. Room to grow for me and my man 😊. I bought mine from Casper but there are other less pricey options.
7 months

A wooden bed can work for a fat couple. I made one and designed it similarly to how a floor is built, I'm quite confident of its strength.
7 months

I have seen some poorly made metal beds. With low quality thin steel . With very poor welding as mentioned before. I have seen the bars bend under a persons weight. That said a good quality metal bed could be a excellent choice. Just be careful what you buy in my opinion.
7 months

Even those military style iron bedframes can sway a little under as much weight as some of us carry around, but it won't break.
I had a box under one in college that went in just fine at the start of the year, but got all scratched up on top by the end.
7 months

I would suggest being more specific in terms of frame as opposed to broad materials, for example, I had a metal pole based one which bent relatively easily.
7 months

Casual Gainer:
I would suggest being more specific in terms of frame as opposed to broad materials, for example, I had a metal pole based one which bent relatively easily.

This is probably the best summary from our experience as a couple. Material thickness, joint types, slat material all affect the structure and hence the “strength” of the frame.

A thick, well engineered aged hardwood frame is going to do better than a extruded bar bolted together mild steel frame.
7 months

I saw a steel/metal frame that apparently holds like up to 70 stone. So me being 500 pounds which is around 35/36 stone, thought that would maybe last longer than the wooden divan beds I usually get.
7 months

SSBBW Summer:
Currently have a Divan bed as I've always been told they're good for heavier people, they've been great over the years, made from wood. However, I've actually heard that a steel or metal frame would actually be better. I've seen some that holds thousands of pounds. Has anyone had one of these frames before? Better than wood?

When I was a little girl, I often stayed with my grandparents because my parents where often away for work. Everyone had a bed with a metal frame. They took a lot of abuse from rowdy kids playing, but they held up just fine.

When I got older and my parents could finally settle down, my mom got me a wooden frame. This frame went through similar abuse and broke within a few months. My mom switched to metal frames and there were no more problems.
7 months
123   loading