Lifestyle tips

Girth increasing exponentially when sitting

In the past 16 months, I regained 170 pounds of lost weight, plus 40 past my previous highest. Most of my weight with this regain settled in my belly, which has a pronounced yoga ball shape, side rolls, muffin top, and back. Obviously, breasts, buttocks, arms, and thighs grew significantly as well, but I'm very round, and my midsection is my biggest area. Because of this, when I sit, my girth expands exponentially, and I'm swimming in fat. I measure about 77 inches around standing, but more than 90 sitting. This poses major issues with clothing, particularly anything that has a waistband. Even the most elasticized leggings become very uncomfortable when sitting, and I find myself constantly rearranging. As a result, everything is ill-fitting. Any clothing recommendations?
6 months

BigBallBellyGirl:
In the past 16 months, I regained 170 pounds of lost weight, plus 40 past my previous highest. Most of my weight with this regain settled in my belly, which has a pronounced yoga ball shape, side rolls, muffin top, and back. Obviously, breasts, buttocks, arms, and thighs grew significantly as well, but I'm very round, and my midsection is my biggest area. Because of this, when I sit, my girth expands exponentially, and I'm swimming in fat. I measure about 77 inches around standing, but more than 90 sitting. This poses major issues with clothing, particularly anything that has a waistband. Even the most elasticized leggings become very uncomfortable when sitting, and I find myself constantly rearranging. As a result, everything is ill-fitting. Any clothing recommendations?

Might wanna look into long dresses with an empire waistline. And perhaps see what's available on the plus-sized maternity side of things.
6 months

I second the recommendation for high waisted dresses. Also look for full skirts, so your belly has plenty of room to expand. For those of us with non-standard body shapes, I highly recommend Love Your Peaches. They're pricey, but that's because everything is handmade to order in the US. Janelle, the owner, is an absolute sweetheart and will customize your clothes to fit you exactly if you email her with your measurements and clothing issues.

I have huge thighs and wide hips with a comparatively narrow waist and smaller lower belly than what most plus size pants and shorts are made for. So the legs are skin tight while there's loose fabric bunched around my belly and the waist is too big. Janelle took my measurements and made the best fitting shorts I've ever worn. She did the same with a dress for me, I'm a size bigger on the bottom than I am on top. I'm sure she can make you some cute and comfy dresses that fit your magnificent belly!
6 months

BigBallBellyGirl:

Munchies:
Might wanna look into long dresses with an empire waistline. And perhaps see what's available on the plus-sized maternity side of things.

I’ve gravitated to dresses this summer as they are more forgiving with my gradual girth gain. I have no waist anymore so empire is the way to go. More area to expand too!!!
6 months

[quote]Sweetfattie:
I second the recommendation for high waisted dresses. Also look for full skirts, so your belly has plenty of room to expand. For those of us with non-standard body shapes, I highly recommend Love Your Peaches. They're pricey, but that's because everything is handmade to order in the US. Janelle, the owner, is an absolute sweetheart and will customize your clothes to fit you exactly if you email her with your measurements and clothing issues.

I have huge thighs and wide hips with a comparatively narrow waist and smaller lower belly than what most plus size pants and shorts are made for. So the legs are skin tight while there's loose fabric bunched around my belly and the waist is too big. Janelle took my measurements and made the best fitting shorts I've ever worn. She did the same with a dress for me, I'm a size bigger on the bottom than I am on top. I'm sure she can make you some cute and comfy dresses that fit your magnificent belly![/quote

Sounds like a good go to! I need expansion room without feeling tight!
6 months

MoreOfMe:
[quote]Sweetfattie:

I have huge thighs and wide hips with a comparatively narrow waist and smaller lower belly than what most plus size pants and shorts are made for. So the legs are skin tight while there's loose fabric bunched around my belly and the waist is too big. Janelle took my measurements and made the best fitting shorts I've ever worn. She did the same with a dress for me, I'm a size bigger on the bottom than I am on top. I'm sure she can make you some cute and comfy dresses that fit your magnificent belly![/quote

Sounds like a good go to! I need expansion room without feeling tight!

I like the reference to nonstandard body types, as that's entirely my issue. I'm around 415, which means I'm obese, but by no means the fattest person in the world. It's the concentration of fat in my midsection. My partner helped me get measurements both standing/sitting so I can look for a better fit.

Upper arms: 21"/21"
Bust: 53"/54"
Waist: 79.5"/92"
Hips & Lower Belly: 52"/68"
Thighs: 31"/impossible to measure when sitting
Biggest part of my calves: 20"/20"

When I sit, and the weight in my torso has nowhere to go but to spread out, I have issues with clothing that fits fine while standing. I've even gotten up to find I split a seam in leggings before. It's a challenge.

Some great advice though! I'll definitely be checking out these recommendations.
6 months