Gaining

Starting the day with a soda bloat for better appetite during the day

I have an idea, which I will test tomorrow morning, and perhaps over several days, but I wanted to check with you guys first for your input.

Drinking a lot of soda is easy, and when starting out a gain, one goal is to expand the stomach so that it feels empty (or at least less full).

So, starting the day with a soda bloat seems like a great idea...right? Any advice, anecdotes from past experiences, etc., are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
7 months

Anon5665:
I have an idea, which I will test tomorrow morning, and perhaps over several days, but I wanted to check with you guys first for your input.

Drinking a lot of soda is easy, and when starting out a gain, one goal is to expand the stomach so that it feels empty (or at least less full).

So, starting the day with a soda bloat seems like a great idea...right? Any advice, anecdotes from past experiences, etc., are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

This is a bad idea.

Regular soda consumption can mess up your dental health and jack up your blood sugar. You'll also find that you'll eat a lot less and have trouble accomplishing tasks because your belly is full of soda.

Add onto the fact that you are underweight, and we have more complications. You're stomach's capacity is small. So you're also asking for stomach cramps.

If you want to do a liquid bloat to expand your capacity, use a flat liquid. Plus, it's better to do it in the evening so you will have at least eaten breakfast, lunch, and some snacks.

I think you'd do better with soup. You can get whatever you want and go ham. Eat until you are comfortably full and then have a little bit more. Your capacity will increase with time.
7 months

Anon5665:

Thank you!

I wouldn't do it if I were you. Munchies' answer is good, but gonna add some more things.

One is that for some reason, soda seems to stay in the body for longer than water does, for some reason. And when that happens, you'll probably end up eating less.

Most soda in America also uses high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is horrendous if consumed in high quantities, and if you do what you want to, it'll be too much. There's the fast effect on very high blood sugar, but there seems to be something almost unique about it too. It's much worse than regular sugar, and it doesn't even have as many calories.

I've found that if I have too much soda or HFCS, I get sleepy and drowsy, and just need to lay down for awhile. Might be the blood sugar thing, but I've never had this effect, at least nowhere as intense with anything else.

Other than soda, the most common sources of HFCS will be either condiments like ketchup and barbeque sauce, certain sweet spreads like strawberry jam, and certain pancake/waffle syrups. However, it's very easy to identify varieties of the aforementioned without HFCS. It would probably be best if you minimize HFCS to almost nothing at home.

You can have small quantities of HFCS, so no point in freaking out if you're with friends at a restaurant or something, and the ketchup there has HFCS in it. You can even have the occasional soda, but you don't want to bloat with soda.
7 months

Anon5665:

Thank you!

ILuvChubbyChix:
I wouldn't do it if I were you. Munchies' answer is good, but gonna add some more things.

One is that for some reason, soda seems to stay in the body for longer than water does, for some reason. And when that happens, you'll probably end up eating less.

Most soda in America also uses high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is horrendous if consumed in high quantities, and if you do what you want to, it'll be too much. There's the fast effect on very high blood sugar, but there seems to be something almost unique about it too. It's much worse than regular sugar, and it doesn't even have as many calories.

I've found that if I have too much soda or HFCS, I get sleepy and drowsy, and just need to lay down for awhile. Might be the blood sugar thing, but I've never had this effect, at least nowhere as intense with anything else.

Other than soda, the most common sources of HFCS will be either condiments like ketchup and barbeque sauce, certain sweet spreads like strawberry jam, and certain pancake/waffle syrups. However, it's very easy to identify varieties of the aforementioned without HFCS. It would probably be best if you minimize HFCS to almost nothing at home.

You can have small quantities of HFCS, so no point in freaking out if you're with friends at a restaurant or something, and the ketchup there has HFCS in it. You can even have the occasional soda, but you don't want to bloat with soda.

All very good points.

You are correct about soda staying in the body for longer than water does. This is a scientifically provable fact.

everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/does-soda-count-as-fluid/

This article goes into more detail, but the quick and dirty is that your body has to process the soda.

Water is water. It is in the simplest state for your body to process, so it just absorbs it in your intestines. Meanwhile, soda is chock full of things like sugar/HFCS and caffeine. So it takes a little bit longer to process.

Adding onto matter further, caffeine is a diuretic. So consuming too much of it can ironically dehydrate you.
7 months

ILuvChubbyChix:

I just drank over a liter in one go, and the drowsiness is intense for sure. I do however feel stuffed--the pleasurable "really full" feeling. I think that doing this regularly might not be best, but it was fun!
7 months

ILuvChubbyChix:

Anon5665:
I just drank over a liter in one go, and the drowsiness is intense for sure. I do however feel stuffed--the pleasurable "really full" feeling. I think that doing this regularly might not be best, but it was fun!

You drank over a liter in one go????????

Oh Lordy

While the stomach can stretch up to 2 - 4 liters, the average person can fit 1 liter before their stomach starts revolting.

You just drank over 1 liter of carbonated fluids. And based on our previous conversations, you have not trained your stomach for this.

Soda bottles and cans are under a lot of pressure because of the gas infused into the soda. When you add gas to a liquid, it escapes. However, if you put it in a container that prevents the gas from leaving (like a soda bottle or can) it creates pressure. On top of all that, the warmer the gas is, the more it wants to expand. The human body is much warmer than room temp soda.

With all this in mind, drinking a liter of soda will expand your stomach far more than a liter in capacity. Even more so if you drink it in one go. You haven't given the gas much time to escape, so you get a lot more stomach expansion.

This was posted an hour ago, so hopefully you're fine. But doing things runs the risk of you making yourself sick. And that is to say, nothing of the sugar high followed by the sugar crash.

Please stay safe.
7 months