Dating/Friendships

Traveling

I can't offer much by way of physical logistics as they apply to extra-large travelers, but I can offer what it is I do to keep travel costs down.

The first thing that comes to mind with regards to seating availability or requirement is to research the aircraft scheduled for a flight you are shopping for. Flights are scheduled about/up to 11 months ahead of time, and that the very least you will know which model of aircraft on that route, if not the specific registration itself. This way you may be able to research which seats it has installed, since they are ever-changing and shrinking.

As for money/time:

1) I personally do not use third parties like expedia or kayak. Whenever possible I book a nonstop flight directly with the airline itself. A long haul flight may be 1 or 2 hundred dollars more (though not always the case and oftentimes equal price or less!) but it is worth the peace of mind. You don't want to be racing between gates and stuck without luggage if you cannot easily replace clothes in your size (or deal with changing aircraft models as suggested above). Perhaps consider a stayover if there is a far destination that cannot be reached nonstop.

2) red eyes are almost always lower price and less booked.

3) invest in good luggage now if you haven't already. shop around, get a whole set. This isn't something most consider these days but good luggage is supposed to last awhile (see previous point about replacing clothes! smiley

4) I find the best flights and timing in the shoulder seasons for international travel relative to the destination. I had roundtrip nonstop from Europe for $600 in March and even flew roundtrip from South America for $450 (this one included stop overs but I was meeting up with interstate friends anyway).

5) foreign airlines tend to have higher standards than domestic ones. points rack up pretty easily even without credit cards. Points = cheaper flights later, upgrades, etc.

6) Amtrak and Greyhound also have loyalty programs! If you are traveling domestically, it may be worth considering Amtrak if it's along a route and getting a sleeper room (They have different styles/levels but can be guaranteed privacy and comfort). Again sticker shock can be high, but the stress makes travel far more accessible and convenient.

Basically it's worth to invest upfront when you start traveling then experience return on that later. It sucks but is true and the peace of mind will be worth it.

And of course if you have decent credit, certainly explore what perks may come along with your account if you have one.
5 months