General

Why are people so angry at fat acceptance movements on the internet?

The process goes like this: some fat acceptance advocates who are pretty radical about it post their wild hot takes to Tiktok. They are a small fringe minority within the community, and I think most people here would disagree with a lot of their opinions. People on the cultural right discover these videos and make reaction videos out of them, painting them as being representative of the entire movement. They're then able to lump fat acceptance in the category of "woke insanity" (despite the fact that if you've been on these boards for any length of time, you'll notice that it attracts members from across the political spectrum). The more sensational it is, the more clicks it gets. The algorithm then boosts these videos to people who are interested in any topics related to being anti-woke, and it becomes a handy source of content for them. Once the demand for reaction videos outstrips the supply of videos they would normally want to react to, they have to expand the scope of their criticism in order to keep the content flowing. They also have to continually get more extreme over time in order to retain audience attention.

This process isn't specific to fat acceptance, it's happening to every community on both sides of the aisle, and is probably one of the biggest reasons we live in such a politically polarized climate now. That being said, I've noticed there's definitely a higher level of vitriol against fat people than most other groups that get harassed on the internet. Like fat people cringe videos will go way beyond criticizing ideas and include clips of people just trying to live a normal life, or clips of them working out, like I thought the entire point was supposed to be "fAt AcCePtAnCe Is UnHeAlThY", but even when they try to lose weight it's worthy of ridicule. The truth is they just have a visceral reaction to seeing a fat person at any time, in any context, and they will rationalize any excuse they can for it to be justified.
2 months

So I have seen both sides of the spectrum here. As far as I’ve gathered “being fat is okay but it’s not a healthy way of living”. It’s also a reason why people despise it because they don’t like the idea of someone being obese and still be healthy and call it “delusional”.

Now as a plus size girly myself. Yeah the truth hurts. But that doesn’t mean that it will stop me from my best life!
2 weeks

The main reason why so many be hating fat acceptance now is because activists didn’t live until their 40-50s. Yeah… not exactly a good look.

I mean sure I do like them thick and all, but yeah I guess some people need to find a way to tackle the health side of things so that it wouldn’t be such a problem if we’re talking about acceptance.
2 weeks

52Percent:
The main reason why so many be hating fat acceptance now is because activists didn’t live until their 40-50s. Yeah… not exactly a good look.

I mean sure I do like them thick and all, but yeah I guess some people need to find a way to tackle the health side of things so that it wouldn’t be such a problem if we’re talking about acceptance.

I mean, sure. There are a lot of activists that died painful early deaths. But there are also activists that made it to old age. Hell, there are members of the Black Panther party that are alive today.

That said, how society views the activist's cause will determine what kind of push back they will get. For example, the reason why online schooling was possible when COVID hit was thanks to acivists pushing for that schooling option over a decade earlier.

Your average person probably hadn't even heard about this, but I was in community with these people. There's disability activists too who, at this point in history, will make it to old age just fine.

As for fat activists, I think a lot of their blow back comes from societies hatred of fat people and a misunderstanding of what fat activism is. The think fat activists are pushing for the right to be fat when they are actually pushing for protection from things like job discriminiation, the ability to find affordible clothes in their size, and for doctors not to dismiss all of their symptoms as being obese instead of testing them like normal people.
2 weeks

52Percent:

I know of a woman who was told by a doctor that if she did not lose weight, she would not live to see 30. She's 500 pounds, and is in her mid 70's now.
2 weeks

It’s easier for some people to control their weight than others.

That makes it hard for some to feel empathy like they might with someone who has a visible impairment. Those feelings are very easily manipulated into propaganda, one cherrypicked example of a fat activist clamoring about fat tax or name calling is all it takes to generate hate towards the movement, which they are otherwise ignorant of.

But its the internet, people love to be a rebel without a cause.
2 weeks

something that i have noticed lately is that people are getting extremely angry at the existence of weight loss injections and people using them.
when the fat people they hate so much start losing weight in a new way they don't like they start trying to find reasons to justify denying its use and keep insulting them. it really exposes the fact that all they wanted was a reason to insult somebody for how they look
2 weeks

Arfacode:
something that i have noticed lately is that people are getting extremely angry at the existence of weight loss injections and people using them.
when the fat people they hate so much start losing weight in a new way they don't like they start trying to find reasons to justify denying its use and keep insulting them. it really exposes the fact that all they wanted was a reason to insult somebody for how they look

Reminds me of a post I saw where someone mocked a fat person for trying to lose weight at a gym.

Although I think this was a YouTube Reddit r/facepalm compilation video, so at least they were getting mocked for it.
2 weeks

Arfacode:

Casual Gainer:
Reminds me of a post I saw where someone mocked a fat person for trying to lose weight at a gym.

Although I think this was a YouTube Reddit r/facepalm compilation video, so at least they were getting mocked for it.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Honestly, I hate the rise of people going to the gym and filming people to humiliate them. Stuff like that makes people not wanna go.
2 weeks

If anything I'm for your body you do you, but Ozempic being abused for weight loss instead of mainly diabetes is really tragic. Sure there is mounjaro and a small list of others but ozempic was the leading medication that helped millions of patients.
Now those patients are struggling to get ozempic because it's becoming more available for weight loss than helping blood sugar levels.

Hot take I know but rather this pill be used for people who need it.
2 weeks
12345   loading