Gaining

Fat distribution with rapid vs gradual weight gain

Softtummy:
I often see people talking about how if you gain weight really quickly it tends to go to your gut, as opposed to a slower gain which distributes the weight more evenly. It's been really difficult for me to find any information backing up or refuting these claims.

What does everyone here think of this? If you have any insight/experience with rapid and gradual gains, I'd love to hear about it.

All of this is incorrect.

Your gain speeds have nothing to do with your fat distribution. What influences your fat distribution are your genetics, hormones, any health issues (like lymphedema), diet, and activity level.

That said, if you rapidly gain, you may end up with a prominent belly. This has nothing to do with the speed and everything to do with what you did to gain.

First off, some of that belly is not fat. Some of it is food weight and constipation from abusing your GI tract. You'll also experience a good deal of bloat too.

Secondly, people who put on a lot of weight quickly tend to eat foods high in unhealthy fats. All of this can lead to sizeable visceral fat gains. This person likely isn't exercising either. And since the body burns visceral fat before it burns subcutaneous fat, the belly will stick out more prominently than if it was mostly subcutaneous fat.

With all this in mind, your belly will appear bigger since it juts out. It doesn't mean your fat gains favor your belly. If you are naturally pear-shaped or all your weight goes to your tits, no amount of rapid gains will change this. And once you take a gaining break, you'll notice your belly will go down in size even if the scale doesn't.
4 months

Softtummy:
I often see people talking about how if you gain weight really quickly it tends to go to your gut, as opposed to a slower gain which distributes the weight more evenly. It's been really difficult for me to find any information backing up or refuting these claims.

What does everyone here think of this? If you have any insight/experience with rapid and gradual gains, I'd love to hear about it.

Munchies:
All of this is incorrect.

Your gain speeds have nothing to do with your fat distribution. What influences your fat distribution are your genetics, hormones, any health issues (like lymphedema), diet, and activity level.

That said, if you rapidly gain, you may end up with a prominent belly. This has nothing to do with the speed and everything to do with what you did to gain.

First off, some of that belly is not fat. Some of it is food weight and constipation from abusing your GI tract. You'll also experience a good deal of bloat too.

Secondly, people who put on a lot of weight quickly tend to eat foods high in unhealthy fats. All of this can lead to sizeable visceral fat gains. This person likely isn't exercising either. And since the body burns visceral fat before it burns subcutaneous fat, the belly will stick out more prominently than if it was mostly subcutaneous fat.

With all this in mind, your belly will appear bigger since it juts out. It doesn't mean your fat gains favor your belly. If you are naturally pear-shaped or all your weight goes to your tits, no amount of rapid gains will change this. And once you take a gaining break, you'll notice your belly will go down in size even if the scale doesn't.

Softtummy:
Got it, thanks so much for all of the info 😊

I guess the only question I have left is, what fats are "unhealthy"? I know that trans fats are considered to be very bad for you, but other than that I really don't know the difference between them.

Heavy cream is so popular in the gaining community, and yet everything I find suggests that the saturated fat which it's so high in is one of the bad ones. Maybe it's use is just a result of the people who are interested in it not caring too much about visceral vs subcutaneous gains.

Trans fats and saturated fats are considered "bad fats". However, all things are fine in moderation. And even so-called good fats can be unhealthy when eaten in excess.

As for heavy cream, it's best used as a calorie supplement. Overdoing it can cause digestion issues as, ironically, weight loss.
4 months

Softtummy:

I'm one of those people who lost and then regained (plus some) and have a very different body type than I did previously. Before my weight loss, I had already been obese my whole life. I reached around 370 lb, and my doctor encouraged me to lose weight. At that time, I was soft with a big belly, big hips, big thighs, a puffy face, and I jiggled when I moved or walked.

With a lot of diet and lifestyle changes, I got down to around 190, which is still obese for a 5'3 woman, though admittedly, I felt thick, but not fat.

When I decided to regain, I did it intentionally, and my major strategy was mass stuffings. Though I'm well aware of pitfalls of living off of carbs, cheese, and snack foods, most of my weight came from eating this way, in large quantities, as well as extreme stuffing. I eventually regained every ounce I lost, and I kept going, putting on 140 lb more than my previous high weight.

Though I am bigger than I have ever been, I'm also less jiggly. My fiance describes it as "firm fat", particularly in the belly area. Though it obviously does hang some, because , well, gravity, I have the kind of pot belly you see sometimes on an ultra supersized man. I do have a huge muffin top and lots of back rolls, but even that fat feels like it's somehow "tighter" than previously.

Additionally, a vast majority of my weight settled in my midsection, so I have an enormous circumference. I've been told my face, though chubby, is actually slightly more defined at 510 than 370. My back side is also big obviously, but it's not quite as wide in proportion to my body.

I know many many things my factor into to change in body composition and fat distribution. I'm approaching 30, so hormonal changes may be at play. I also gained 300 lb in less than 3 years, which was not the pattern previously, when I had just always been fat. And, at the height of my weight gain, I was stuffing to oblivion daily, eating mostly junk food and carbs. I like the effects, and my fiance enjoys the big bellied look too.
4 months

Softtummy:

BigBallBellyGirl:
I'm one of those people who lost and then regained (plus some) and have a very different body type than I did previously. Before my weight loss, I had already been obese my whole life. I reached around 370 lb, and my doctor encouraged me to lose weight. At that time, I was soft with a big belly, big hips, big thighs, a puffy face, and I jiggled when I moved or walked.

With a lot of diet and lifestyle changes, I got down to around 190, which is still obese for a 5'3 woman, though admittedly, I felt thick, but not fat.

When I decided to regain, I did it intentionally, and my major strategy was mass stuffings. Though I'm well aware of pitfalls of living off of carbs, cheese, and snack foods, most of my weight came from eating this way, in large quantities, as well as extreme stuffing. I eventually regained every ounce I lost, and I kept going, putting on 140 lb more than my previous high weight.

Though I am bigger than I have ever been, I'm also less jiggly. My fiance describes it as "firm fat", particularly in the belly area. Though it obviously does hang some, because , well, gravity, I have the kind of pot belly you see sometimes on an ultra supersized man. I do have a huge muffin top and lots of back rolls, but even that fat feels like it's somehow "tighter" than previously.

Additionally, a vast majority of my weight settled in my midsection, so I have an enormous circumference. I've been told my face, though chubby, is actually slightly more defined at 510 than 370. My back side is also big obviously, but it's not quite as wide in proportion to my body.

I know many many things my factor into to change in body composition and fat distribution. I'm approaching 30, so hormonal changes may be at play. I also gained 300 lb in less than 3 years, which was not the pattern previously, when I had just always been fat. And, at the height of my weight gain, I was stuffing to oblivion daily, eating mostly junk food and carbs. I like the effects, and my fiance enjoys the big bellied look too.

This is very interesting being that I have not heard about the repeated gain after loss and even more gained again, especially with your higher weight amount.

Not even acting like I know but in my experiences with my wife and myself. The repeated gaining typically results in softer more pliable fat, especially with my wife - that is only when not stuffing. When stuffing I saw a bloated firmer weight gain on myself in way of a big distended gut with a bit of softening at the bottom of it.

So, keep us posted in this thread about length of time and how the weight settles after a long while. Obviously as mentioned my wife was not nearly your sexy heavy weight so it isn’t much of a comparison experimently wise.
3 months