General

I'm so tired of the food here i've eaten it all!

I often see the British food slander and how they don't ever use spices, but it's so funny because I feel as though Australians are even worse offenders of this!

When im telling you "Australian" food is some of the blandest food you will have in your life I mean it. As an Australian I now yearn for leaving this place to discover other cuisines because I've realised, if something isn't from here that's where the flavour comes from! I guess maybe the Australian laid back attitude goes as far as to influence the food as most of it is pretty basic flavours with minimal effort or seasoning. I'm not saying people don't veer away from this but most people here only use salt, pepper and curry for pretty much everything. The most authentic experience of Australian food is probably when friends invite other friends over for a bbq. If it's lunch most dishes will usually be served cold such a pasta salads, potato salads, basic salad of lettuce, tomato & cucumber and meats from the bbq (generally unseasoned or just salt). The typical sauce options will be bbq or tomato and pretty much everywhere sauce options don't vary much from those, with the addition of gravy, which I like to be dark brown and thick. This trend of sticking to a limited flavour profile extends to the supermarkets too, pretty much everything stays within about 3-5 flavour profiles.There's not much of a range of really anything, for example, sodas pretty much stick to just being raspberry, orange, cola or lemon or some version of that. It's impossible to find things like a grape soda or anything even slightly adventurous. The same goes for candies anything more exciting like watermelon, grape & blue raspberry candies are sparse and the milks and ice creams pretty much everything sticks to being chocolate, vanilla or caramel.
The only exciting flavours come when things are limited edition or are internationally sourced. So I think I've quite literally out eaten this country, I've eaten it all so many times, I've eaten everything good in the supermarkets, and I just need a new world of food to try. There's so many countries I fantasise going to just for entire eating trips, I worry how I'd fit on the plane back but it sounds so exciting. Nothing makes me more excited than new flavours and textures of food, it will truly be a marvelous experience and would hopefully take a huge toll. I'd definitely document everything too so you could see how much I ate and gained. Idk about you but that sounds incredible and we've e got to make it happen this year!!
3 months

Thepiggygirls:
I often see the British food slander and how they don't ever use spices, but it's so funny because I feel as though Australians are even worse offenders of this!

When im telling you "Australian" food is some of the blandest food you will have in your life I mean it. As an Australian I now yearn for leaving this place to discover other cuisines because I've realised, if something isn't from here that's where the flavour comes from! I guess maybe the Australian laid back attitude goes as far as to influence the food as most of it is pretty basic flavours with minimal effort or seasoning. I'm not saying people don't veer away from this but most people here only use salt, pepper and curry for pretty much everything. The most authentic experience of Australian food is probably when friends invite other friends over for a bbq. If it's lunch most dishes will usually be served cold such a pasta salads, potato salads, basic salad of lettuce, tomato & cucumber and meats from the bbq (generally unseasoned or just salt). The typical sauce options will be bbq or tomato and pretty much everywhere sauce options don't vary much from those, with the addition of gravy, which I like to be dark brown and thick. This trend of sticking to a limited flavour profile extends to the supermarkets too, pretty much everything stays within about 3-5 flavour profiles.There's not much of a range of really anything, for example, sodas pretty much stick to just being raspberry, orange, cola or lemon or some version of that. It's impossible to find things like a grape soda or anything even slightly adventurous. The same goes for candies anything more exciting like watermelon, grape & blue raspberry candies are sparse and the milks and ice creams pretty much everything sticks to being chocolate, vanilla or caramel.
The only exciting flavours come when things are limited edition or are internationally sourced. So I think I've quite literally out eaten this country, I've eaten it all so many times, I've eaten everything good in the supermarkets, and I just need a new world of food to try. There's so many countries I fantasise going to just for entire eating trips, I worry how I'd fit on the plane back but it sounds so exciting. Nothing makes me more excited than new flavours and textures of food, it will truly be a marvelous experience and would hopefully take a huge toll. I'd definitely document everything too so you could see how much I ate and gained. Idk about you but that sounds incredible and we've e got to make it happen this year!!

With love, but this is the whitest thing I have seen in a while. And I am in bed with my very white significant other.

Just ... use seasoning. And try foods from other cultures. Problem solved.
3 months

Thepiggygirls:

Munchies:
With love, but this is the whitest thing I have seen in a while. And I am in bed with my very white significant other.

"Whitest thing?"

Why must so many topics on which you comment be categorized in a racist context?

OP made references solely to a nation's culinary preferences, not a particular race.

It's an "Australian" thing, plain and simple.

People in and from Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain are largely considered "white" and happen to be some of the heaviest users of seasonings in their cuisine. Folks like Emeril Lagasse and Guy Fieri come to mind. Their recipes are the opposite of bland.

Readily available convenience foods are typically designed for the widest appeal and often lack flavors objectionable to some palates, often those of youths. By offering flavors appealing to impressionable consumers at a young age, these major corporations (fast food, processed food, snack food, cola and beverage, etc.) develop customers for life, and rightfully so. Their duty is a fiduciary one to their shareholders, not one of any sort to their customers, including those whom they classify as "Heavy users" or "Superfans".

I agree wholeheartedly the best solution to such bland "Australian" cuisine would be to expand the application of seasonings and/or try foods from other cultures.
3 months

Thepiggygirls:

Munchies:

Newenglander:
"Whitest thing?"

Why must so many topics on which you comment be categorized in a racist context?

OP made references solely to a nation's culinary preferences, not a particular race.

It's an "Australian" thing, plain and simple.

People in and from Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain are largely considered "white" and happen to be some of the heaviest users of seasonings in their cuisine. Folks like Emeril Lagasse and Guy Fieri come to mind. Their recipes are the opposite of bland.

Readily available convenience foods are typically designed for the widest appeal and often lack flavors objectionable to some palates, often those of youths. By offering flavors appealing to impressionable consumers at a young age, these major corporations (fast food, processed food, snack food, cola and beverage, etc.) develop customers for life, and rightfully so. Their duty is a fiduciary one to their shareholders, not one of any sort to their customers, including those whom they classify as "Heavy users" or "Superfans".

I agree wholeheartedly the best solution to such bland "Australian" cuisine would be to expand the application of seasonings and/or try foods from other cultures.

Somebody triggered, triggered

Australia actually has a lot of flavorful foods from a lot of different cultures - including white ones. What made it "the whitest thing" was the thinking your typical Aussie fare is bland and not engaging with the complexity of the different tastes.

It has nothing to do with the lack of seasoning. I am well aware white people use seasonings. As I mentioned before, I am literally in a relationship with a white man. He likes food that tastes good.

Go outside. Touch some grass. If it's cold, go put on a coat.
3 months

When you eat a lot all the time you kinda lose sight of some foods novelty and everything kinda just gets bland imo. And I experiment try new places etc - it all leads back to the burger in the end for me at least
3 months

Also trigged snowflake libfart much getting trigged by jokes cancel culture strikes again

I just saw someone say white people food bland

The west has truly fallen

/s
3 months

Morbidly A Beast:
When you eat a lot all the time you kinda lose sight of some foods novelty and everything kinda just gets bland imo. And I experiment try new places etc - it all leads back to the burger in the end for me at least

We all have our comfort foods. Which is why it's so good to step out from time to time.

A few months ago, I decided to check out an Indian grocery store that I'd seen but never been inside of. It was great! They had Indian, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean foods there. They had also sorts of snacks that I'd never seen before at a very reasonable price.

This store was one street over from Wal-Mart.

This store has been around for about 15 years in a convenient place and I never bothered to go in because I like the comfort of the familiar. I'm still going to Wal-Mart, but I'll also go back to this store from time to time to try things out.
3 months

That’s interesting. I’ve never been to Australia and honestly have never much thought about Australien food. I’ve had and liked some “stereotypical” British food like fish and chips or bangers and mash. I didn’t think that was unpleasantly bland. Like some other people have mentioned or commented, I too like to experiment with a variety of different foods from time to time. However, I always circle back to my basic comfort foods (like tater tot casserole or Mac n’ cheese for homemade food or MacDonalds for fast food). They are admittedly on the bland and simple side but they have always been a staple in my diet and I find it very easy to eat large quantities of them.
3 months

Morbidly A Beast:
Also trigged snowflake libfart much getting trigged by jokes cancel culture strikes again

/s

Sadly it appears the West is falling fast.

Thankfully in America our Bill of Rights still stands as inalienable.

I feel for my friends and acquaintances in Europe and the British Commonwealth. Their rights come from government rather than our Creator, and have been eroding at a perilous pace.

Perhaps their curtailment of speech which makes snowflakes melt down will be enough to prevent global warming, especially since the French farmers idling Diesel tractors on their highways isn't helping the globalist agenda.
2 months

Morbidly A Beast:

/s

Newenglander:
Sadly it appears the West is falling fast.

Thankfully in America our Bill of Rights still stands as inalienable.

I feel for my friends and acquaintances in Europe and the British Commonwealth. Their rights come from government rather than our Creator, and have been eroding at a perilous pace.

Perhaps their curtailment of speech which makes snowflakes melt down will be enough to prevent global warming, especially since the French farmers idling Diesel tractors on their highways isn't helping the globalist agenda.

What a weird way to say, "My wife doesn't touch me anymore, and I have no friends."

Also "/s" is a tone indicator that means "sarcasm."
2 months
12   loading