Story authors

How important are a good plot and character development for you?

The title says it.
For me personally, only the general setting has to fit. The important part are the sex scenes. That is also the reason why I haven't even given names to the characters in my stories so far. I just wanna get off after all šŸ˜…
But I was wondering if others actually cared about a "proper story" with a well thought out plot and some character development.
2 months

HueOrdner:
The title says it.
For me personally, only the general setting has to fit. The important part are the sex scenes. That is also the reason why I haven't even given names to the characters in my stories so far. I just wanna get off after all šŸ˜…
But I was wondering if others actually cared about a "proper story" with a well thought out plot and some character development.

Itā€™s extremely important to me. I mostly write character-driven stories, but I work pretty hard to make my characters realistic and have real emotions and intentions. And when Iā€™m reading someone elseā€™s fic, flat characters start to bore me pretty quick. So yup, very important.

I will say, also, that I love ā€œamateurā€ art and writing, and I go into it expecting that it wonā€™t be perfect. It makes reading those great amateur authors so much more fun. You expect a published author to be good, but when you find a hobbyist whoā€™s great itā€™s exciting for me. And there are some great authors who post here. A lot of them, actually.
2 months

HueOrdner:
The title says it.

Letters And Numbers:
Itā€™s extremely important to me. I mostly write character-driven stories, but I work pretty hard to make my characters realistic and have real emotions and intentions. And when Iā€™m reading someone elseā€™s fic, flat characters start to bore me pretty quick. So yup, very important.

I will say, also, that I love ā€œamateurā€ art and writing, and I go into it expecting that it wonā€™t be perfect. It makes reading those great amateur authors so much more fun. You expect a published author to be good, but when you find a hobbyist whoā€™s great itā€™s exciting for me. And there are some great authors who post here. A lot of them, actually.

That's interesting to hear! Thanks for your opinion on the topic šŸ˜„
2 months

HueOrdner:
The title says it.

Letters And Numbers:

HueOrdner:

It also depends on the story, too. If Iā€™m in the mood for pure smut and thereā€™s a quick story that doesnā€™t bother with character development or plot, but does the smut really wellā€”ok, that can be great too. But if itā€™s going to be longer than a few chapters I need something else to hold my attention
2 months

HueOrdner:
The title says it.

Letters And Numbers:

HueOrdner:

Letters And Numbers:
It also depends on the story, too. If Iā€™m in the mood for pure smut and thereā€™s a quick story that doesnā€™t bother with character development or plot, but does the smut really wellā€”ok, that can be great too. But if itā€™s going to be longer than a few chapters I need something else to hold my attention

I think that, even then, you still have some kind of character development. It's not in depth like a fleshed out story would be, but, you should have a good sense of the characters and their dynamics.

A bratty virgin, an experienced domme, a drunken one night stand between strangers, or love making among a happily married throuple will have different experiences during smut. So even though we might not know a lot about them, even their names, the reader should still be able to understand them.

And to answer OP, it depends on my mood how much story I want in my smut. But it is entirely possible to have a proper story that keeps you horny from the jump. I have read a number of smut stories like that, and I have written one of my own. It's called The Queen Mother.
2 months

Extremely. More important than literary artistry and almost more important than the gaining itself. Anyone can also together an anonymous fantasy, but what grips me is a compelling protagonist and a genuinely unique idea.
2 months

HueOrdner:
The title says it.

Letters And Numbers:

HueOrdner:

Letters And Numbers:

Munchies:
I think that, even then, you still have some kind of character development. It's not in depth like a fleshed out story would be, but, you should have a good sense of the characters and their dynamics.

I guess I would say that it's definitely hard mode to write a compelling scene without a lot of character development or plot. You're left with just the words you choose, almost like poetry. And as a lousy poet, its impressive to me when I see someone build a compelling sensory (sensual?) image with the bare minimum of building blocks. Character development (especially more general archetypes like you mentioned) give the reader a ton of shared shorthand to fill in the gaps. Plot does too, obviously. A scene can have a lot more emotional response when there's been pages and pages of buildup. But very well done descriptive scene with none of that to inform the reader is a fun exercise. You just have a handful of words as your raw materials. Challenging to do, at least imo.

I think the OP writes nice stories, too, and I hope they continue to write and share with us!
2 months

How important are a good plot and character development is actually two questions....

Plot is the foundation. Even in fat fiction where the goal might be to arouse, a solid plot is a huge benefit. We have all probably read some meandering fiction where a character is gaining weight, but it just doesn't seem to have a point. There's nothing wrong with this, but something with a definitive plot will be far more memorable. Especially if it resonates through the characterizations!

What is good character development? I have read a lot of weight gain fiction where the first few pages just outline the main character. How they look, their background, etc. and often none of this is referenced at any point in the rest of the story. Maybe the author needed to know this, to write for the character, but they didn't need to put it in the story for the reader. So I would suggest that the right amount of character development is that which serves the story.

Length has a lot to do with it, too. In a novel we will be spending a lot of time with at least one character, and we'll have the opportunity to see them in a variety of situations (how they behave alone, with peers, with friends, etc.), so there's more opportunity to develop characters. In a short story, we typically only need even character development to get us into the action of the piece (so skip that first page telling us about their childhood and school life, unless it's directly relevant to what is coming up).

Clever character development is the best - giving us insight into the character through the actions in the story. If the reader doesn't even notice it, but now they have a feeling they really know this character.... For me, that is the goal.
2 months