General

Most controversial food opinions

Ligr77:
If you're gonna charge me over 20 bucks on a dish, it'd better be big, and it better be good!

I'm always shocked by how much people will spend for such little portions.

Also, I understand that people tend to eat with their eyes, but plating is kinda overblown in fancy places. If I'm going out to eat, I'm thinking way more about how it tastes than how it looks.

Not trying to be snarky, but there are way more restaurants that serve big portions and don’t try to do anything special with plating than there are expensive restaurants with small portions and that eye appeal you’re talking about. They should be very easy to avoid if that’s not your jam.

That being said, and maybe it’s regional, but I see $20+ per entree around here no matter if it’s a bowl of pasta or a steak. If I go into a diner I expect to walk out paying at least $20 per person. It’s just what restaurant food costs right now. An entree at a higher end place starts around $27-30.
1 month

Ligr77:
If you're gonna charge me over 20 bucks on a dish, it'd better be big, and it better be good!

Also, I understand that people tend to eat with their eyes, but plating is kinda overblown in fancy places. If I'm going out to eat, I'm thinking way more about how it tastes than how it looks.

Letters And Numbers:
Not trying to be snarky, but there are way more restaurants that serve big portions and don’t try to do anything special with plating than there are expensive restaurants with small portions and that eye appeal you’re talking about. They should be very easy to avoid if that’s not your jam.

That being said, and maybe it’s regional, but I see $20+ per entree around here no matter if it’s a bowl of pasta or a steak. If I go into a diner I expect to walk out paying at least $20 per person. It’s just what restaurant food costs right now. An entree at a higher end place starts around $27-30.

Admittedly, that is a pretty good point. Might've gotten a little carried away lol.

I just figured that it might be a controversial opinion because of that whole "date at a fancy restaurant" thing that a lot of couples do.

Also, I sometimes forget to adjust my ideas of an average priced dish for inflation, so admittedly I might've been estimating a bit lower.

All of that said however, I still feel like the fancier restaurants wouldn't be my scene if I'm being honest.
1 month

Ligr77:

Letters And Numbers:

Ligr77:
Admittedly, that is a pretty good point. Might've gotten a little carried away lol.

I just figured that it might be a controversial opinion because of that whole "date at a fancy restaurant" thing that a lot of couples do.

Also, I sometimes forget to adjust my ideas of an average priced dish for inflation, so admittedly I might've been estimating a bit lower.

All of that said however, I still feel like the fancier restaurants wouldn't be my scene if I'm being honest.

There's lots of stuff that's silly but fun if you've got the cash.
1 month

Malvineous:
Cold pizza is gross. Pizza for breakfast is gross.

Fries dipped in milkshake is also gross. Salt and vinegar potato chips are gross as well.

Most fruit is gross now because they don't let it ripen long enough. If I wanted it to be that sour, I would have bought lemons instead of blueberries.

Eating peanut butter straight out of the jar is pretty good though.

CONTROVERSY!!!

You can give me ALLLLL of your cold, leftover pizza then, my friend. I will happily fall on that grenade for ya. smiley
1 month

Malvineous:

Fries dipped in milkshake is also gross. Salt and vinegar potato chips are gross as well.

Most fruit is gross now because they don't let it ripen long enough. If I wanted it to be that sour, I would have bought lemons instead of blueberries.

Kacchan:
CONTROVERSY!!!

You can give me ALLLLL of your cold, leftover pizza then, my friend. I will happily fall on that grenade for ya. smiley

Same 🤣 I agree with all except the cold pizza and the fries in milkshakes/soft serve ice cream, I love the contrast of the hot and salty and the cold and sweet haha

And the thing about fruits is so true! It's so so sad tbh I thought it was just an Australian thing
1 month

Malvineous:

Kacchan:
CONTROVERSY!!!

Honestly, I gotta agree with Kacchan on this.

That said, keep in mind that my standards for pizza are not super high. I can legit be satisfied and at times happy to tear into a frozen pizza(After it cools, of course).
1 month

Malvineous:

Most fruit will continue to ripen on the counter. Just don’t eat it the minute you get it home from the store and don’t refrigerate it unless it’s the sweetness you’re looking for. Berries are a little different, but you have to be picky with them out of season anyways.
1 month

Malvineous:

Letters And Numbers:
Most fruit will continue to ripen on the counter. Just don’t eat it the minute you get it home from the store and don’t refrigerate it unless it’s the sweetness you’re looking for. Berries are a little different, but you have to be picky with them out of season anyways.

All true. Plus, most places purposefully sell under-ripe fruit. It just makes logistical sense.

Some fruits will stay good for a bit once they are ripe, but most don't. The store also doesn't expect the fruit to sell out immediately. So most fruit isn't ripe when it hits the shelves to extend the shelf life.
1 month

I saw someone come at pickles in the thread and I just gotta say I hope you step on a lego, pickles are delicious
1 month

Morbidly A Beast:
I saw someone come at pickles in the thread and I just gotta say I hope you step on a lego, pickles are delicious

This is the "Most Controversial Food Opinions" thread. It's the whole point of the thread. If people post popular food opinions, they are doing it wrong.
1 month
12345   loading