General

Can gluttony be a spiritual practice?

I'm about the least spiritual person you'll ever meet, so I will not argue this point. I'm just putting it out there to see if anyone thinks it's possible. Part of finding your bliss and all that.

If it is possible, how do you do it?
1 month

AskDrFeeder:
I'm about the least spiritual person you'll ever meet, so I will not argue this point. I'm just putting it out there to see if anyone thinks it's possible. Part of finding your bliss and all that.

So I don’t think so, because gluttony by its nature is bottomless, there’s always more and the capacity might always grow. It’s kinda why it’s a sin. Not that I think that stuff is real but I think there’s something psychological to it. But there’s def a sort of bliss in the ‘contentness’ after a very large meal
1 month

AskDrFeeder:

Honestly, if you look at religions as a societal construct, I find it hard to believe that it'd be practical. If everyone embraced gluttony the way the feederism community did, it wouldn't really be sustainable for even a modern society.

But if you're talking about a spiritual level, there are some beliefs of devourer deities in mythology. That said, they're almost always antagonistic, and usually neutral when they aren't.

Bottom line, I think for humans, it might be possible, but it'd be impractical.
1 month

Ligr77:
If everyone embraced gluttony the way the feederism community did, it wouldn't really be sustainable for even a modern society.

I'm thinking of it less as a religion and more of a Joseph Campbell finding-your-bliss kind of thing. Not everyone is required or expected to practice it.
1 month

AskDrFeeder:

Ligr77:
Honestly, if you look at religions as a societal construct, I find it hard to believe that it'd be practical. If everyone embraced gluttony the way the feederism community did, it wouldn't really be sustainable for even a modern society.

But if you're talking about a spiritual level, there are some beliefs of devourer deities in mythology. That said, they're almost always antagonistic, and usually neutral when they aren't.

Bottom line, I think for humans, it might be possible, but it'd be impractical.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "spiritual." Technically, gluttony is a spiritual concept one can practice, but as far as I can tell, the various different faiths agree that gluttony is bad.

For transparency's sake, I am Christian. But I did a little digging around other religions - specifically those with non-Abrahamic roots such as Jainism, Asatro, and Obeah. They all do not condone gluttony.

I believe the reason is two-fold. Like Liger77 said, it isn't practical. Occasional feasting is fun, but if everyone ate like it was Thanksgiving every day, society would collapse. It would also create a society where those who have the means to over-consume are holy, and those who do not are heathens.

I don't think I have to explain the dystopia that would create.

Then there's the moral aspect of this. To be clear, gluttony is a thing of degrees. I don't think regular or occasional overindulgence is a bad thing so long as it doesn't consume you. But there are feedist that have given their lives to gluttony. I encounter them on a semi-regular basis. They are the most miserable, insufferable people I've had the displeasure to meet.

I remember this one user I met a few months after I joined the site. If gluttony was a spiritual practice, then he would be its devotee. He didn't care about his size. He just enjoyed an over-stuffed belly at all times. Unfortunately, this often meant he was too full to do much of anything. This led to his losing friends he had before his gluttony journey

He worked in a fast food place so he'd have unfettered access to free food. He also admitted to regularly messing up orders so he could eat their food. This led to him getting fired from previous fast-food jobs.

He complained about financially struggling. However, he did not want to get a job that pays more because then he'd have to eat less to keep it. He was lonely, angry, and entitled. I felt a mix of pity and disgust towards him.

If gluttony were a spiritual practice, I'd imagine it would create many people like him. And I can't think of any spiritual leader with their salt would condemn their followers to a life like that.
1 month

Ligr77:
If everyone embraced gluttony the way the feederism community did, it wouldn't really be sustainable for even a modern society.

AskDrFeeder:
I'm thinking of it less as a religion and more of a Joseph Campbell finding-your-bliss kind of thing. Not everyone is required or expected to practice it.

Hedonism. The thing you are thinking about is hedonism.

Hedonsim isn't gluttony. Rather, it's "the ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life."

For example, if eating three donuts a day gives you pleasure, then do that. However, if eating a box of donuts a day makes you feel bad, then don't do that. This is different from gluttony. Gluttony requires you to consume as much as possible as often as possible.

There's a bit more to it than that. This article can give you a better understanding:

ethicsunwrapped.utexas.edu/glossary/hedonism
1 month

Eroticism can be spiritual. For me, if I wanted to have a spiritual experience of the erotic (which i have never pursued but I know other people do) I would have to incorporate gluttony, obesity, or kinks that might be harder to make spiritual like humiliation. So the erotic experience of gluttony might be made spiritual in some ways.
1 month

Several years ago I came across a page run by a guy who used his obesity as a focus for working magic. I don't remember his name or the website.
1 month

The number of cults that have incorporated casual sex as a form of spiritual practice makes me think that it's definitely possible to do the same with gluttony, even if there are no real world examples.
1 month

I don't know if it counts- my wife isn't a spiritual person necessarily. But she has a body that seems optimized for storing fat healthily as much as possible, and rather than fight her own body or try to match some fashionable image, she accepted the fact that shes going to become more and more obese, and since we started dating she's come to find pride and serenity in her weight gain.

Becoming super fat has made her more proud and confident in a way one could consider spitirual.
1 month
12   loading