General

Mold-free hamburger/hotdog buns?

If I want to search this, all I get is search engine optimized and ai/gpt garbage. Articles telling me how to avoid mold, telling me things I already do actively.

I hope that here since food is a staple here maybe someone knows a good brand to get buns with a bit more preservatives. I can’t eat 8 hamburgers or 8 hotdogs a week from my grocery store visit, and anytime after a week I see mold.

With bread I don’t have this problem, sara lee honey wheat can sit for ages in my pantry, and I unfortunately can only purchase the sara lee artisinal buns and not restaurant style.
1 month

PurpleJade:
If I want to search this, all I get is search engine optimized and ai/gpt garbage. Articles telling me how to avoid mold, telling me things I already do actively.

I hope that here since food is a staple here maybe someone knows a good brand to get buns with a bit more preservatives. I can’t eat 8 hamburgers or 8 hotdogs a week from my grocery store visit, and anytime after a week I see mold.

With bread I don’t have this problem, sara lee honey wheat can sit for ages in my pantry, and I unfortunately can only purchase the sara lee artisinal buns and not restaurant style.

Freeze them and defrost when you need them.

(Or invite people over for cookouts)
1 month

PurpleJade:

Letters And Numbers:

If you are taking all the steps to avoid your food going bad and it still is, then freeze it.

Alternatively, buy the buns only when you plan to use them quickly. Use the Sarah Lee bread instead when it's just you.

All that said, I am curious about how quickly your buns are going bad and how you are preserving them. Because I've never experienced hot dog buns going bad so quickly.
1 month

get a breadbox to store your breads it’s what I use.
1 month

PurpleJade:

Letters And Numbers:

Munchies:

If you are taking all the steps to avoid your food going bad and it still is, then freeze it.

Alternatively, buy the buns only when you plan to use them quickly. Use the Sarah Lee bread instead when it's just you.

All that said, I am curious about how quickly your buns are going bad and how you are preserving them. Because I've never experienced hot dog buns going bad so quickly.

I can't answer for the OP, but when I first moved out, the place I lived in was a breeding ground for mold.

I would buy a loaf of bread with an expiry date for 2 weeks later and it would be moldy within a few days.

I did freeze things after this happened a few times.
1 month

PurpleJade:

Letters And Numbers:

Munchies:

NoMoYoYo:
I can't answer for the OP, but when I first moved out, the place I lived in was a breeding ground for mold.

I would buy a loaf of bread with an expiry date for 2 weeks later and it would be moldy within a few days.

I did freeze things after this happened a few times.

I lived in places that were like this. They were hot and humid. Usually, a dehumidifier can help with that. But idk if OP has already used it.
1 month

The struggle can be quite real for those in warm climes, like me. Much of the time, I put bread and burger buns in the fridge to avoid molding. No room in the kitchen for one of those bread boxes.
1 month

I get oroweat hot dog buns. They are potato hot dog buns.

I buy them because I don’t like it when the grease from the hot dog makes the bun soggy.

But they also last forever. I don’t think I have ever seen mold on them.
1 month

The problem with putting bread in the fridge is it dries it out faster. I have seen this problem too of bread molding quickly. If you live somewhere that mold grows easily, warm and humid, then you've probably had mold in the house before. I think once it starts to grow somewhere, the spores stay in the air even after you clean it. So whenever you open your bread and dirty air gets in the bag, it's then contaminated. I always try squeeze extra air out of the bag so there is less spores floating around in there to grow. Maybe try an experiment one day: bring home two identical loaves of bread, use one normally and leave the other unopened. See how long the unopened loaf takes to grow mold since it has never been exposed to the air in your home.
If the difference is substantial, maybe try getting an air filter.
1 month

Delta9:
The problem with putting bread in the fridge is it dries it out faster. I have seen this problem too of bread molding quickly. If you live somewhere that mold grows easily, warm and humid, then you've probably had mold in the house before. I think once it starts to grow somewhere, the spores stay in the air even after you clean it. So whenever you open your bread and dirty air gets in the bag, it's then contaminated. I always try squeeze extra air out of the bag so there is less spores floating around in there to grow. Maybe try an experiment one day: bring home two identical loaves of bread, use one normally and leave the other unopened. See how long the unopened loaf takes to grow mold since it has never been exposed to the air in your home.
If the difference is substantial, maybe try getting an air filter.

Unfortunately, my unopened buns do this too. And bread loaves are never a problem.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had walmart and my supermarket’s off brands best choice and great value, as well as ball-park all with this.

This thread just replicates the insanity I feel looking anywhere else online at forums. Either the buns purchased at my local area has mold inside already or it’s all just a strange coincidence my bread doesn't mold after sitting for a month.

I’m just going to freeze my leftover buns and call it at that while my bread patiently waits in the pantry without a breadbox. I don’t think anyone will relate to my specific problem enough to provide an answer as specific as what buns don’t mold, and I’ve accepted that.
1 month
12   loading