General

Mold-free hamburger/hotdog buns?

Delta9:
The problem with putting bread in the fridge is it dries it out faster. I have seen this problem too of bread molding quickly. If you live somewhere that mold grows easily, warm and humid, then you've probably had mold in the house before. I think once it starts to grow somewhere, the spores stay in the air even after you clean it. So whenever you open your bread and dirty air gets in the bag, it's then contaminated. I always try squeeze extra air out of the bag so there is less spores floating around in there to grow. Maybe try an experiment one day: bring home two identical loaves of bread, use one normally and leave the other unopened. See how long the unopened loaf takes to grow mold since it has never been exposed to the air in your home.
If the difference is substantial, maybe try getting an air filter.

PurpleJade:
Unfortunately, my unopened buns do this too. And bread loaves are never a problem.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had walmart and my supermarket’s off brands best choice and great value, as well as ball-park all with this.

This thread just replicates the insanity I feel looking anywhere else online at forums. Either the buns purchased at my local area has mold inside already or it’s all just a strange coincidence my bread doesn't mold after sitting for a month.

I’m just going to freeze my leftover buns and call it at that while my bread patiently waits in the pantry without a breadbox. I don’t think anyone will relate to my specific problem enough to provide an answer as specific as what buns don’t mold, and I’ve accepted that.

Hmm, that makes me very curious to figure out what is going on here. I'm going to inspect the ingredients and labels closely next time I'm at Walmart to see if there is any difference in preservatives, etc. Maybe a different yeast. I don't know.
3 weeks

A thing about most hot dog and hamburger buns is that the bread is much fluffier and seems a bit moister. This makes it seem more prone to mold.
3 weeks

Interesting development here, especially as this thread is going. Had some large rolls for chicken sandwiches on the kitchen counter and still sealed in the bag. They sat on the counter for just 36 hours and they already had mold spots on them. Good thing I had some buns in the fridge available. Made the sandwiches and simply warmed the buns on reheat mode in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

Bread truly is difficult to keep mold-free these days!
3 weeks

If you have very moist bread or live in a warm, damp environment, it will mold. Putting it in the fridge will slow it down, but only so much. The freezer is the best way to go about it, as it's too cold for the spores to take hold.
3 weeks

Munchies:
If you have very moist bread or live in a warm, damp environment, it will mold. Putting it in the fridge will slow it down, but only so much. The freezer is the best way to go about it, as it's too cold for the spores to take hold.

Yep, with this being the little ol’ South, it’s always humid out — even when it’s cold temps outside.

The fridge works out well enough. Wouldn’t leave the buns uneaten too many days anyway!
3 weeks

Munchies:

HappyBigBelly:
Yep, with this being the little ol’ South, it’s always humid out — even when it’s cold temps outside.

The fridge works out well enough. Wouldn’t leave the buns uneaten too many days anyway!

Food can't spoil if you eat it first.
3 weeks

Munchies:

HappyBigBelly:

Munchies:

Hence this site, ha :-)
3 weeks

Munchies:

HappyBigBelly:

Munchies:

HappyBigBelly:
Hence this site, ha :-)

So true, bestie.
3 weeks
12   loading