General

Fasting to lower metabolism

What's the best way to do it? Is it enough to eat nothing till like 3pm? Or should I not eat for a whole day or more?
1 week

No there’s no world in which eating less will make you gain more weight, so there’s no point in starving yourself. Just lower your amount of strenuous exercise, calories you then consume will turn into fat. The metabolism is like a oven when you exercise it’s like blowing oxygen into a fire requiring more energy to be consumed
1 week

And there’s always a base metabolic rate, and it actually gets larger the bigger your body is which is not insignificant. It’s your body weight multiplied by 15. This is the number you need just to maintain your current body weight, this is why some gainers “plateau” it gets hard to regularly consume 10s of thousands of calories; the ammount of food they consume is significantly less than the number they need to gain by a few thousand calories in some cases.

It’s all numbers. More need to go in than that are burned. And there’s no way to lower that number other than to lose weight.
1 week

ObeseCalorie:
What's the best way to do it? Is it enough to eat nothing till like 3pm? Or should I not eat for a whole day or more?

Your profile says you are a 48 year old woman who is 187 lbs and 5'5".

Personally, I wouldn't recommend messing with your metabolism.

Short, heavy older women approaching menopause need to be very careful when gaining. Your metabolism is already lowering, menopause will mess up your hormones, and your bones and joints are at an increased risk for damage.

You can still gain safely, but you should be careful not to gain faster than your body can tolerate it. Otherwise, you run the risk of not gaining as much as you could gain or needing to lose weight for health reasons.

Be patient. You are already fat. You'll get fatter in due time.
1 week

Thank you for your insightful inputs Morbidly and Munchies.

@Morbidly A Beast
So I guess it's hearsay, or perhaps just the dieters' excuse, when they say that they stopped losing weight because they ruined their metabolism by dieting?

Mind you, I'm not trying to lose weight...
And I really hope you're right because I hate going hungry.

@Munchies yes you definitely got that right! I think I might be in or nearing that particular hormonal phase.
Also as of today I'm 196lbs.
I'm otherwise in great health. No cholesterol, no diabetes, and I suffer slight low blood pressure (been like that since my teens) which I think might be a plus lol..

That said, I've never been 196lbs before. The last time I weighed myself before I got triggered into gaining (and registered here) I had been 176lbs.

I gained the last 9 lbs quite fast-ish so I think most is water weight.
I think my body can tolerate it. I mean, I loved this experience because I woke up each morning each day a bit heavier and I actually felt heavier, because I had never gained so much so fast before. Must be the heavy cream because it's my first time trying it and I've been taking between 400-500ml daily these past 6 days.

I will take your advice and be patient. At the moment I'm so just eager to break 200lbs and I'm so near!
1 week

ObeseCalorie:
Thank you for your insightful inputs Morbidly and Munchies.

@Morbidly A Beast
So I guess it's hearsay, or perhaps just the dieters' excuse, when they say that they stopped losing weight because they ruined their metabolism by dieting?

Mind you, I'm not trying to lose weight...
And I really hope you're right because I hate going hungry.

So yeah outside of a major hormonal imbalance the body is going to burn fat when you don’t consume enough calories to reach your base metabolic rate. Usually what happens is that person eats cleaner generally and exercises but the calories in vs calories burned stays relatively the same so little or no weight loss. Also gotta remeber a person who might be a few lbs overweight needs 2700 calories just to maintain their current weight

There’s a weight gain in the 30s for a lot of people and that’s because at that point your done growing so your base metabolic rate is lower, resulting in some weight gain.
1 week

Matcha Meister:
not really related to fasting but kinda related to metabolism - I hear that drinking plenty of wine/beer with your meals/desserts helps pack on the pounds, the body tends to convert almost everything into fat when you take your food with alcohol ☺️

Alcohol have a lot of calories so it makes sense
1 week