Lifestyle tips

Passengers requiring extra space ~

Has anyone heard of this new United Airlines policy which basically means you will be charge double for being a large passenger? I was in the airport today to fly back home from a business trip and I overheard two other passengers talking about this new policy effective April 15. www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52985,00.html I don't fly United but I just wanted to know your thoughts. I am not bashing United, I have flown United many times and I like them. But I mean, as an engineer, I do know that the heavier the plane, the more fuel it will consume but is this fair? I mean, how humiliating to board a plane and after you settle into your seat you are told; excuse me but.... What do you all think about this?
15 years

I disagree entirely. Ruby begins to be on the right train, but I would go one step further. Either you charge everyone by the pound, both people and baggage, or you take responsibility for seating people in all our diversity. It wouldn't cost airlines that much to reserve one or two rows for larger passengers, and just make the seats in those rows more ample. And I would guess I speak for a lot of fatties when I say I would welcome such seats.

Either a company caters to its clientele, or it doesn't. We used to think such practices were outrageous, and we used to think it was a company's job to service its clients. It's a sad day when we volunteer to be treated badly AND think it makes sense.

And fwiw, United is the 8th or 9th airline to put such a policy in place. I wish someone would push them on size discrimination, which is at least against the law in a few places.
15 years

Helper wrote:
In Canada if you get a doctors note, no matter how big you are planes are legally required to charge you for one seat under a "one person, one fare" system. Any other requirements for additional space for accommodating a single travel fall under the same requirement, such as:

Having a broken leg which must be elevated onto a second chair.
Needing a nurse to accompany you when you travel (she doesn't need a second ticket.)

yeah, but it only works for the Canadian based airlines, for flights that are entirely within Canada

And the docs are bitching about downloading the work onto them when we already have a doctor shortage.

In other news, Southwest Airlines will charge for the second seat, but they'll refund the second seat if the plane wasn't overbooked
I <3 SW
15 years

Christo73 mentioned that the airlines are solely interested in making money. Isn't that the main purpose of a business entity? Airlines are there to make a profit while offering consumers transportation in exchange for their money. They also have to keep their clients happy if they want repeat business and majority rules. I started this tread because I was curious to see what members thoughts are regarding this policy. I travel constantly and I have seen and or experienced it all; sitting next to someone who stinks, or someone who won't sit still, rude people, nice people, very large people who encroach on my space and worst of all little kids. Don't get me wrong, I love little kids but some drive me nuts on long flights. Airlines have to cover expenses and I understand that but from the way I read the new rules, the airline flight crew makes the determination during the boarding process and informs the passenger in question that they will have to buy extra air fare. At least that's my interpretation of the rule since there isn't an actual published size & weight chart to act as a guide line. That is what I'm focusing on, and I'm thinking to be singled out must be a little embarrassing. To hold up the departure of a flight to count the number of seat belt extenders required, space occupy and if there are any extra seats available on the plane seems unjust. If they feel they need to do this why not have a size & weight chart to determine travel accommodations and air fare ahead of time? I have traveled in first class many times and those seats are much roomier, at least for me, but pricier. I like the idea of charging for total boarding weight including baggage.
15 years

OK, in a city parking garage, should a handicap person pay extra for a handicap space, which requires more space around it?
15 years

I just got back from a trip from San Diego to London on American Airlines in coach. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 330. I think I am right on the edge of being able to do this in anything resembling comfort. With the seat belt all the way out, I can just buckle it (I own an extender, some of the seats have shorter belts!) My biggest problem is not the width, but the leg room - on the way back my knees were hitting all the way - in really uncomfortable places. On the way out however, I got to sit in an aisle seat right behind the bulkhead where the big screen is (in a 777) This was wonderful! I could stretch my legs all the way out! Couldn't even do that in the one time I got a first class seat. There are about 20 coach seats in specific places that allow for more space, AA charges more for these seats, but it is generally worth it! I always try to book an aisle seat on the side where there is only two seats - that way I am only blocking one person and I can lean out into the aisle. I know I wouldn't want to sit next to someone my size (unless they were female and friendly!) because I do take up more than my fair share of the available space.

I already pay extra for those more "spacious" seats and I almost always have to pay more for my luggage. Bigger clothes are heavier! I own a big Samsonite hardside suitcase. Fully packed for this trip it weighed in at 67 lbs. $50 charge right there. I didn't even bring my heavy jacket on this trip, I could have easily gone over 75 lbs. I was also lugging a carry on and a backpack.

So, I think the "Total Weight" including luggage idea would work as long as you got extra space to go with the extra expense! smiley
15 years

The government can honestly go to Hell in the matter unless it owns the company of course. If it' a privately owned company I don't see how it's anyone elses business but the person who owns it to do what he/she wants to do with it. They are only losing money if they discriminate, unless those who discriminate don't care enough to do anything about it such as boycott and letting people know what that place is doing to discriminate againest them.
15 years

I think the policy is discriminatory, and quite offensive. I understand that they get many complaints about being seated next to overweight passengers but I read Southwest's policy on this and they said that less than 50% of the flyers qualify as being overweight but that still means a large percentage must do so.

As of now, I think the best policy is to fly airlines without the extra seat policy and with weights steadily increasing all around the world these could create airlines who solely support overweight passengers and those who support the thin ones. Just creating two different niches for those consumers who prefer different options. I wouldnt mind boarding a plane that is fat friendly but I would mind being designated to have two seats or being in a distinct row.

Also, I think the worst part of united's policy is that they will kick an overweight passenger off if the plane is full and they have not booked two seats so they can take a later flight and eat the extra cost and time, that I do not see fair at all.
15 years

lc2 wrote:
barrel37 wrote:
it was put to a vote at least, it wasn't like the company demanded it. honestly and this may seem negative but if someone can't accept the cons of being so big and wanting to be that way or bigger they need to rethink there choices

Not everybody is in a position to choose what size they are remember.

I am definitely reviving a dying thread. However, you're on a site that categorizes people as "feeders," "foodees," and "feedees." While it's true that some people have conditions that cause them to gain weight and keep it, this site caters to people who not only enjoy being fat, but also want to get bigger, or even make other people bigger.

I find curvier girls cute, but when you have to inconvenience someone, smaller or equal sized, there is a serious problem. If you overtake some strangers seat, should he or she get a refund instead? purchasing 2 seats in advance or getting an upgrade to first class when available is the best option for everyone. Airline companies like to fill up planes as much as possible, so it's likely that past a certain size you will be inconveniencing someone. It may seem like discrimination agains you, but if you take up a seat and a half and squoosh a smaller or average sized person, isn't that discrimination against them?

Let's not even get into the nerve damage that squeezing yourself into a too small seat with arm rests will cause.

The person who suggested first class, bulkhead, and exit row seats was right. the latter aren't as expensive as first class but in each scenario you get more space. Airlines should call it what it is an issue of space, not necessarily fuel.

To those people with thyroid or other issues, it is a painful occurrence. However, it is also unfair that skinnier people who happen to be assigned the seat next to you should also suffer.

I'm all for size acceptance and think that larger people can be beautiful. But size acceptance means accepting the good and the bad that goes along with it.
11 years

Wannabe Princess wrote:
fisherfascher wrote:
larger people can be useful.

smileysmileysmileysmiley

:o OH NO!!! that was supposed to say "beautiful" not "useful!":o I'm sorry, my rant was written in the wee hours of the morning/late night so one or two words were accidentally replaced with other words that completely differ from what I wanted to say.smiley I'm sorry.

That being said, I think people of all shapes and sizes have rights. It's important to keep everyone's rights in mind. But, sometimes you can't make a solution that keeps everyone happy. smiley
11 years
12   loading