Rising obesity rates

ShakesSphere:
There was talk of the obesity epidemic leveling off after 2000. But after The Great Recession began in 2007-8 people went back to getting fatter in the US, Mexico and Europe.
Since 2016, we have an obese president who loves fast food and is cancelling all of the healthy food initiatives brought in by Michelle Obama. Deregulation is giving a free reign to the food industry. I predict a runaway epidemic of obesity in the US.

The horribly *failed* school lunch program that caused a lot of waste, encouraged the opposite effect. It still needs to end though, if it hasn't already. The food was often so bad, cold pizza brought from home would taste better.
5 years

Rising obesity rates

I'm not sure about outside of the U.S., but in the U.S. I've heard that obesity rates are expected to reach 50% in '30, assuming current trends continue. There hasn't been any evidence to suggest this will change. This also assumes the obesity threshold continues to be a BMI score of at least 30.

There are significant differences by race and income group, so some demographic groups are already very close to 50% even now, and may surpass 50% well before '30.
5 years

"flabby, fat and lazy" your opinion

Of course, there will probably be different responses.

If you ask me, I prefer independence. Otherwise, it would be unbalanced and is an extra bit of responsibility I don't want.

I really don't relish the idea of having to provide constant, 24/7 assistance that requires something every hour, or more often. That sounds like a nurse in a long-term care facility. If I wanted to work in healthcare, I would have went to medical school and got that M.D.

It would also significantly interfere with certain things I would like to do in life I consider important. I'd like to have kids, for one thing. This introduces a number of practical considerations. For one thing, I need to believe that if something bad were to happen to me, any children would be well taken care of, particularly if they're still little. I often consider reality, because this is something I actually want to see happen.

Other practical, realistic financial and time considerations are well, if I have any wish to achieve certain life goals, basically she needs to make a decent salary. That and there needs to be enough money so she can follow her hobbies and interests as well, since it's not all about me. Kids are costly.

I do expect her to be able to be independent, assuming access to typical modern technology in an urban environment. I also look for ambition, and don't find laziness attractive. I don't mean anything crazy like running an uphill marathon. But every year, there's fewer and fewer jobs that require a certain degree of physical fitness. More and more of them are the kind where you sit down on your widening butt all day.

There's all sorts of highly meaningful career options where she can be fat and still do them. Teacher, accountant, lawyer, and so on. Even nurses are sometimes obese.

So basically, I see no reason why I can't have both and have it all.
5 years

Are there any simple ways to improve writing skills?

You may also wish to consider your audience. Are there any reasonable assumptions you can make about them? This would affect whether you can use certain acronyms, technical terms, and technical jargon.
5 years

Diabetes

I kind of wonder what you've been eating to gain the weight. I also wonder how quickly you gained the 50 lbs.

Hope it hasn't been exclusively through sweets. Straight sugar or drinking an entire liter of soda and all the HFCS isn't the best thing. I would probably actually suggest a lot less soda. Drink coffee for caffeine, and you can mix it with cream if you want.

I did find this thing on the Mayo Clinic web site. www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prediabetes/symptoms-causes/syc-20355278

I can't help but wonder if you might be better off drink half and half, or eventually heavy cream before you go to sleep at night. It's calorie dense but digests slowly, and in some folks can make them drowsy so, best to do it before sleep for less effect on your daily life.

I do find it surprising you have this, at your age (if your profile is correct) and weight (170 doesn't seem that big).

There's probably someone else here who could give a much better answer to this than I could.
5 years

What do you all think of rising obesity rates?

I rather enjoy, and look forward to it.

It depends on the country's standards, but in the U.S. the CDC standard of a BMI of 30+, and a score of 30 seems to be only sort of plump. The formula is also strictly based on height and weight so some bodybuilders could be "obese" despite having little fat, the opposite of obese.

I rather love that retail stores have to feature plus size mannequins. That some brands of clothes have no choice but to offer larger sizes, and I only see this becoming more common, not less.

I loved when the NYC MTA decided that seats on new subway cars have to be a few inches wider.

I even like the idea of providing more personal space even to someone underweight, granting the same right that someone plump should have. I never see anyone try to force 3 into a bench or booth seat anymore, regardless of weight.

My future wife will mostly likely be unaware of feederism, or that I will secretly wish she will go for that extra slice of cheesecake, but pregnancy and middle age spread does have a way of adding pounds and weight that may be difficult to lose even if she wants to (so it will be up to me to try to convince her that she doesn't have to lose it for me).

I'm not too worried about health implications yet. It's a long way off from the day where finding anyone under 300 lbs will be rare and difficult.
5 years

How to gain while in college?

memebird:
Hello, i'm in my first year of College and hoping to put on that freshman 15 and then some! What exactly could I do to help myself gain?

Fatteningfattyfat:
Definitely give heavy cream a shot. I don�t think there�s anything out there that can beat the price. 3 bucks for 1600 calories!!

At Wal-Mart it's about $3.50 for a quart, or 3,200 calories. Hope the OP has a mini fridge or something. Would also probably want some sort of flavoring. Hot Chocolate mix works well.

Probably half and half at first if it seems too thick, rich, or heavy to drink at first. Your body also needs to get used to a very rich diet, but some here report actual cravings for cream after awhile.
5 years

Reasons behind your name?

Mine should be pretty obvious.
5 years

*good tasting* weight gain shakes

Not exactly a shake, but you can use two packets of hot chocolate mix with heavy cream instead of milk or water.

A pint of cream and two packets should be around 1,900-1,920 calories (not an even 1,920 as some sticks to the side of the glass, all within 20 fl. oz.

If that seems too thick or heavy, can start off with half and half, moving to cream later.

Using a straw will help you suck it down even easier.
5 years

Fast food workers

(Too long, didn't read)
It obviously depends on the place, but I think you'll do better at either a local restaurant (not a chain) as a cook or even just a place that isn't characterized as "quick service" (though funny thing is, sit down restaurants aren't usually much slower). Franchises, as chains often are, will be very hit and miss. At chains, margins are also a lot narrower than you might think.

You may do better at bakeries, ice cream shops, or other places that advertise freshness. This increases waste. Can't sell the day old bread and pastries, but you can still eat them.

You probably aren't going to find many, or any fast food joints that offer free food. The exception might be unsold apple pies or whatever at the end of the day that have to be thrown out anyway, but efforts are made to minimize this as much as possible so this isn't going to give you very much food.

I worked at a chain fast food place as a teen once. While I didn't try to gain, the environment was not very conducive to that. While weight loss was uncommon, very few gained any meaningful amount of weight.
(End too long, didn't quite read)

I will have to delve into some business arguments to explain this. Some will probably find this interesting; business models often help explain a lot of otherwise bizarre situations.

Franchise agreements often don't leave a lot of room for setting pricing, those some room is given. This disappears in the case of nationwide promotions, that the franchise operator may or may not be able to opt out of. This cuts into margins.

In addition, franchise agreements generally specify a highly restricted supply chain, generally from the franchisor. This is their bread and butter, to ensure consistency. A McDonald's location for example, has to purchase their beef patties, buns, cheese, and so on from the corporation. The pricing of these ingredients are generally far above market, so the restaurant will spend a lot more on raw ingredients than they otherwise would.

So even in spite of the characteristically terrible salaries at most of these places, with the exception of the general manager and sometimes the assistant, margins are very thin.

I worked at a McD's once when I was a teenager. I had a shift manager once tell me that about half the cost of the products was raw ingredients. This is madness, and I have little reason to think this has really changed.

This is why most fast food restaurants are unlikely to offer this benefit.

A local restaurant, would be able to obtain ingredients at market pricing. Sometimes even a volume discount depending. At most restaurants, the raw ingredients is one of the cheapest of the ongoing expenses. When someone orders at a restaurant, he's purchasing an experience and convenience. Don't have to wash the dishes, or cook. The most expensive component is labor, as it should be. Pricing of each entree, side, and so on is also typically higher, so margins aren't as razor thin.

So, you *might* have an easier time finding free food at a local restaurant, especially if you cook it yourself. This makes it a very low cost way to make employees happier, as well as encourage employees to try the entire menu, which only helps them make suggestions to customers.
5 years