A crossroads...

LoverBrick wrote:
So...

I finally met someone in real life from this site for some fun with food. Yesterday infact. Awesome experience.

Now that we've met and I've experienced it I'm so conflicted about continuing. It was such a vital experience for me as a person, something I've wanted for ages.

Peace smiley

The problem with experiences like that is when you truly find something that flips your switch, how are you supposed to envisage your life without that now?

Awesome, by the way, I'm so glad it was fun. No harm in doing it again a few times while you make up your mind, eh? Hehe
10 years

Where can i get a fatkini?

I thought this one looked cool:

gabifresh.com/2013/04/gabifresh-x-swimsuitsforall-galaxy.html

but when you click through to the swimsuitsforall website it doesn't seem to have it for sale smiley

You could try googling for Galaxy bikini though...?
10 years

Half filled profiles... why?

I've noticed that sometimes people "forget" to fill in one thing on the "appearance" tab. Haha. When I see:

shape: evenly proportioned
hair colour: light brown
eye color: blue
looks: good looking
height: 0"0'

...I'm only going to assume they're 5 foot. Come on shorties, we're not gonna judge you! (Well, some people might, but let's say it all goes really well with Miss gorgeous n chubby, and you meet up... she's gonna notice).
10 years

Any goths around here?

I thought I did dress relatively conventionally until someone told me the other day that my necklace was pretty and "you look almost feminine for a change" haha. They pointed out I always wear black, my nail varnish is usually some fierce crackle-glaze black-and-steel-grey concoction, my jewellery is mostly silver animal skulls or vicious spikes, and my hair, although styled in a vaguely business-friendly way, is somewhat Gary Numan-esque in its shocking near-blackness. And that's when I'm in work. I'm 43 lol.
10 years

Ignoring ims

Pandoras Box wrote:
Dredging up a dead forum? Yes indeed. My apologies. I hope no one minds.

r_h_ wrote:
Something I'm surprised nobody else has yet mentioned:

When a stranger initiates contact with me over the Internet with some variation of "Hi, how are you?" I feel a potent sense of dread curdling in my guts.

As such, it's empty of meaning. It's uninteresting. It's banal.

Your manners could be perfectly fine. But you might need to work on your game.

Yes.
Yes.
A thousand times, yes.

Also, every thing else in this forum.

TOTALLY. "potent sense of dread curdling in my guts" ahahaha exactly. I hate that opener with a vengeance.

It happens a lot in the chat room too. What I particularly loathe about it is that the opener sits back feeling all smug that he's (yes he. When was the last time a she said that to anyone?) been all polite and non-creepy. But in fact what he's done is put the onus on someone he doesn't know to come up with a witty, entertaining answer. Because if I respond "fine thanks" it sounds curt and rude, at least it does to my ears, because that conversation is now DEAD. I might as well say "oh jog on mate" since it will have the same effect.

So rather than be rude and curt, I feel obliged (which is SO ridiculous, I mean, I don't even know this person and never wanted to talk to them anyway) to say "good thanks, exhausted from work but thinking about making a present for my friend's birthday, by the way what does anyone think about the new Dr Who?" because then there's "oh what do you do for a living?" and "oh what are you thinking of making?" and "love Peter Capaldi but I wish they'd chosen a black woman" as conversational gambits for the other person. Because I have a glimmer of emotional intelligence and know that conversations aren't generated out of zero-interest bland questions, they're created out of giving people the opportunity to bond or sparkle or show their witty side.

Do other people feel the same sense of obligation? I feel I have to come up with that whole sentence which frankly took a good couple of minutes of hard thought to put together (and agonising over why I'm bothering). All to answer some asshat who I don't even want to know (and I know that for sure. Because if they ask stupid things like that, they have no game).

So what's the answer? When someone says "hi, how are you?" in a personal message, it's simple, I just don't answer. I don't get that on IM because I only give my address out to people with more conversational dexterity than that. But what do you say if someone says it in chat? "Fine thanks. And I hope you get that that is a put down." hmmm ruuuude.

Re the whole not-responding-to-IM question: sometimes I just don't want to chat with even the lovely bunch of carefully-selected freaks and nutters I have on my IM list. Maybe I am hoping that one particular person comes online because I have a question for them, so I'm leaving my light on. Maybe I don't want to talk to that guy because he's into stuffing and I'm not in the mood today, or maybe I only want to talk to people who are going to tease me rather than seek teasing from me.

But forgive me, sometimes I don't want to ruin your day by being brutally honest about that. If a person innocently pops up and says "hi" do they really want to hear: "I'm sorry I'm in a really bad mood and I'm only really looking to speak to a small percentage of my friends who are funnier than you - don't take it personally because when I'm in the mood for a really in-depth convo about the joys of weight gain you're deffo my go-to man." I mean, it's honest, but frankly who wants to hear that? So yeah, I'm lazy and/or non-confrontational, and I just ignore... Don't worry, it doesn't mean I hate or disrespect you, it just means, talk another time, okayyyy?
10 years

Happy birthday miss thunder

Hope you had a very good one smiley x
10 years

Any goths around here?

Used to be. Insofar as fashion and music were concerned, anyway. Plus a general inclination to hang out in graveyards. There wasn't anything spiritual or political about it.

I think once a goth, always a goth inside - you just get a more sensible, age/job-appropriate haircut...
10 years

Fatism: the acceptable prejudice

Actually Layla said all that, so much more snappily as well. Ha.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8327753.stm
10 years

Fatism: the acceptable prejudice

vexual wrote:
sigh. it makes me sad when i see people saying things like the things said in this thread. "fatism" is not the last acceptable prejudice. as a queer woman of color, i can tell you that misogyny, racism, and heterosexim are all alive and well and highly accepted in society! it truly displays a privileged viewpoint to think that "fatism" is the only/main prejudice out there, or to put it above any others. especially when the others end in death far more often.

I'm very sorry you've experienced those things and I most definitely am not trying to say that fatism is in any way worse or the only/main prejudice. I doubt it comes close, frankly. But yes Layla is right, the word "acceptable" in this thread is being used to denote those things that are permissible under the law and which most people who deem themselves "right-thinking members of society" would endorse.

Acceptable in the sense that government, professionals taking decisions about people's lives, etc are permitted to use fat as a reason to treat people differently.

People who are racist/sexist/homophobic obviously exist and perpetrate prejudice. However their views are not (officially) endorsed by the laws of most democratic western states. (Horrified by Russia's current stance on homosexuality however...)

Obviously discrimination still occurs against gender/religious choice/sexuality/race etc, but it is not legal to do so, nor could those in power publicly do so (I speak about the UK) without being criticised.

A gay black man who goes to his racist, homophobic (say) GP cannot be turned down for treatment because of his sexual orientation or race or gender. The GP may still discriminate on those grounds, but he can't do so overtly. S/he will have to find another "acceptable" or non-discriminatory reason to deny him treatment, if that is his/her decision. So whilst I am sure those prejudices still happen all the time, they are not "acceptable".

Being fat however is still an acceptable reason to discriminate. There are no laws (in England & Wales, to my knowledge) preventing it. In fact, it is government policy to discriminate against fat people.

There was recently a local council initiative to encourage fat people in receipt of benefits to attend exercise classes if they wanted to continue receiving that state handout. Fat children are being identified and targeted for action by schools. Local authorities have indicated that they would in certain cases be prepared to remove children from their parents if a child's obesity was such that it was causing the child significant harm (in their "standard medicine"-based view) and was caused by the parenting the child had received.

In New Zealand the immigration authorities have decided not to extend a man's work visa because of his BMI. He and his wife will have to leave the country.

You only need to look at the threads on this website to know that many fat people feel they are denied treatment for non-fat-related ailments and are instead told to lose weight by their doctor.

Fat people are denied certain jobs eg. by Abercrombie and Fitch, apparently perfectly legally (although that may be the subject of challenge and may also be related to societal standards of attractiveness as well as weight).

People who deem themselves "reasonable" or "right-thinking" members of society feel strongly that they are perfectly justified in condemning fat people and in believing that those people should, for health and in many cases "moral" reasons, lose weight. They do not feel it is inappropriate to advise fat people of their thoughts on this subject, invited or not.

So the doctor seeing a fat, gay black man who has come for treatment cannot write in the patient's notes "treatment denied because he is black and gay" but s/he can write "treatment denied owing to obesity" (even if that illness has scant evidential link to obesity) without that decision being challengeable, illegal, discriminatory or criticised by many "right-thinking" people.

It backs up and legitimises the majority's feeling of being "in the right" to criticise fat people, look down on them, and single them out for different treatment.

In my opinion it can result in death and/or chronic illness because the stigma attached to being fat results in eating disorders, psychological/psychiatric disorders and people being afraid to go to their doctor for genuine illnesses for fear of being "told off" for being fat.

That is what I mean by fat being an "acceptable" prejudice and again I am not trying to say for a moment that other prejudices are not happening all the time.
10 years

I was just looking at the map

rubyripples wrote:
Perhaps more Londoners looked for the site than their US counterparts because we don't have much in the way of fat acceptance/positivity in the UK, eg never had a UK version of NAAFA or anything like it. I imagine on a UK google for fat positive sites, FF will come up much higher than on US googles (just surmising that though).

I think this may well be true. If there's a fat acceptance movement in the UK I've never spotted it. There's definitely more people at the London FF meets who are seeking acceptance/being found attractive by like-minded people (and not to be the odd one out) than there are people with an actual fetish.

Or maybe I just haven't plumbed their sordid depths yet, haha...
10 years