Food intolerances and gaining

Thank you again. I'll report back once I've met with the doctor!
5 days

Thank you again Munchies!

I will book in to see my doctor as soon as they can. Whilst it is wonderful to have the NHS, it can take ages to get appointments now!

That is why I've paid privately for the autism testing and the food intolerance test. The latter was a do it at home blood test, where I pricked my finger, filled a capillary rod and sent it back. As part of that process, I get a half hour call with a nutritionalist, and wanted to have some questions ready for them, hence making the post here.

Cow's Milk and Wheat scored 100/100 on their test chart.
5 days

Wonderful, thank you! I will have a go at that. Strangely we have some loaf tins here, but I've no idea why!

Not heard of goat butter so will look out for that too. I've not been a great one for cheese, but might explore the equivalents soon.

A friend I told about all of this has suggested that I keep a tiny bit of these items I shouldn't eat in my diet because if you do totally remove them, you will have a much worse reaction than I get now when you do accidentally eat something I'm intolerant of. Have you had a similar experience with your intolerances?
6 days

Munchies:
You don't need to give up sandwiches, actually. If you are open to making your own bread, there are ways to do it without using the ingredients you are allergic to. You can also make wraps using corn tortillas. It's like a sandwich and a burrito had a baby.

Ah that's interesting! I assumed that any bread required yeast. Totally open to making it ourselves! I will look up corn tortillas tomorrow.
1 week

CustardCream:
I've finally taken a blood test and I'm now looking for your advice on how to maintain my weight and ideally gain without eating the following things, which I'm highly intolerant of:

Dairy, Wheat, Gluten, Yeast, Soybean, Egg white, Peanut, Hazelnut, and Beef.

That has killed off most of the food groups my autistic mind finds safe to eat, and indeed overeat. I've never been adventurous with food, as many tastes, smells, and textures will set me on edge, however I think I'm going to have to overcome this. For example, avocados are too slimy to me, but I see they are often suggested.

All thoughts and suggestions very gratefully received!

Munchies:
I'm autistic with a lot of food sensitivites and allergies. I'm sorry to say this, but you'll have to suck it up and start exploring.

The good news is that you still have options. Check out the vegan food and the gluten-free section. You can also check out the natural/organic food scene. There's a lot of food diversity that will open up a lot of avenues for you. I'd also start cooking more because your grocery bill is going to go up no matter what.

Speaking from experience.

That said, you'll lose some weight. This is not fat loss, but rather inflammation and fluid retention leaving the body. This is normal and good.

In the mean time, you can try other nuts you aren't allergic too like almonds and pistachios. There are milk alternatives like oat, rice, and almond. You can find turkey versions of most things out there for reasonable prices.

If you want to get something more specific, just ask. I had to live this life since I was 6 and we share similar allergens.

Thank you as always Munchies, I had a feeling it was suck it up time!

I plan to spend my day off tomorrow going to see what is there in the "free from" ranges and buying things to start with. I've realised the biggest issue is losing sandwiches, as my work often leaves me without an official lunch break and low smell and noise food can be eaten whilst working - which is often disturbed frequently. I've also thought about soups as a solution there.
I thought once I find my feet with what I like I could start making my own versions. Once I get some ideas I will ask for further help here so that others may benefit too!
1 week

I've finally taken a blood test and I'm now looking for your advice on how to maintain my weight and ideally gain without eating the following things, which I'm highly intolerant of:

Dairy, Wheat, Gluten, Yeast, Soybean, Egg white, Peanut, Hazelnut, and Beef.

That has killed off most of the food groups my autistic mind finds safe to eat, and indeed overeat. I've never been adventurous with food, as many tastes, smells, and textures will set me on edge, however I think I'm going to have to overcome this. For example, avocados are too slimy to me, but I see they are often suggested.

All thoughts and suggestions very gratefully received!
1 week

Roll call! any other autistic feedist in the house?

Sorry/not sorry for dragging this thread up, but I've just been diagnosed with ADHD and Autism, and in my case the two clash with each other! Sensory sensitivity is also where they meet apparently, which could explain why I'm such a picky eater.
1 month

Heavy cream questions

Thank you! I'm just nervous of going when I'm trying to overeat - not ready for that sort of conversation yet!
3 months

Heavy cream questions

Munchies:
Absorption rates are tricky. As with all things biology, the answer is "it depends." If you want to know if you are absorbing the fat in your diet properly, you can check your stools. If they float or are greasy, you aren't absorbing it properly or are eating more than your body can handle.

Thank you Munchies! Mine has always floated, even before gaining weight. Indeed, it only sinks when I've had an urgent need to go to the loo. I wonder if I should try a supplement, such as the Now Foods Super Enzymes, and if that helps, start the process of seeing my GP?
3 months

Possible comeback

It will be great to have you back on the gaining cycles!

Out of interest, as I think I may have the same issue, what have you changed your diet to? I'd like to be able to tolerate cream again!
3 months
12345   loading