Anyone else hate these web ads?

Maximum wrote
lol i just pretend it's the other way around, much more enjoyable.

smiley

Actually, I did see one that was the other way around the other day. It had the usual "I lost all this fat in 30 days!" message... except they'd somehow left the Day 0 picture as thin and the Day 30 picture as fat. Whoops. smiley
14 years

Critics slam overweight surgeon general pick, regina benjamin

abcnews.go.com/Health/story

Dr. Regina M. Benjamin, Obama's pick for the next surgeon general, was hailed as a MacArthur Grant genius who had championed the poor at a medical clinic she set up in Katrina-ravaged Alabama.

But the full-figured African-American nominee is also under fire for being overweight in a nation where 34 percent of all Americans aged 20 and over are obese.

Critics and supporters across the blogsphere have commented on photos of Benjamin's round cheeks, saying she sends the wrong message as the public face of America's health initiatives.

But others support the 52-year-old founder and CEO of Bayou La Batre Rural Health Clinic, citing new research that shows you cannot always judge a book by its cover when it comes to obesity.

Even the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance -- whose slogan is "we come in all sizes" -- has jumped to her defense.

"The job of surgeon general is to make health care and policy decisions for the country -- not to look hot in a pair of skinny jeans," said one blogger on Frisky.com. "Perhaps her size could actually be an advantage -- she's in a better position to understand obesity and contemplate out-of-the-box ways to roll back ever-expanding American waistlines."

I discovered a link to this story on another website I frequent. It's sad to hear, but none of us would really be surprised. smiley I don't think anything will come of it, at least. Although Wikipedia states her father died of "high blood pressure and diabetes", so I'll bet they'd jump all over that as soon as they saw it. *sighs* Any excuse'll do.
14 years

Are online friends even worth the effort?

Ah, ZSNES... still superb even to this day. Though I find myself using Kega Fusion often for other things lately, I find. smiley
14 years

Considering all of my off-line friendships have ended in betrayal or abandonment... I'd say they are completely worth the effort. Not all of my online friendships have turned out well, but they've certainly got a much, much, much better rate of loyalty and kinship for me.
14 years

Assumptions

I just looked more properly at the profile of the fellow who contacted me. He's muscular, athletic, bi-sexual and likes masculine men, and particularly straight men. 'The hell? O_o Why straight? They wouldn't be interested. And I'm not masculine either by any means... trying to corrupt me or something? BAH, I'll never give up my love of lovely, lovely girls and curves, it's just too... GOOD. ^_^ (not that there's anything actually wrong with the alternative, of course... I just greatly resent attempts at corruption. I follow my own path.)

*edits profile to make it clear yet inoffensive that he only likes women*
15 years

Assumptions

And I just had it happen to me again today on another website. For goodness sake, I'm straight, and I don't go for men twice my age. GAWD, talk about not reading a profile alright. 'Second time that particular incidence has happened to me. X_X
15 years

Assumptions

Ugh, I've had enough people message me without bothering to read the details on my profile. Often they just go straight for finding out my MSN/AIM/etc without providing me anything of their own, or even a reason for me to give them my contact. It's lazy of them and irritating. For some I didn't even bother replying. I even outright stated on another website that I want messages with more substance than merely a contact request, since then I haven't gotten any such messages, heh.
15 years

Birthday thread!

monkeypuncher wrote:
Mintie, we share a birthday! Dec. 30!

I'm December 20, not 30. smiley
15 years