What are the best categories for organizing our stories?

I basically agree with OscarWinner but I will expand.

I do feel like there are different kinds of stories and being able to specify what kind you are looking for will help our readers.

Here are the ones I can think of right now:

1) One-shot - A story that encompasses just one scene. It just gets right to the smut with little story, more focused on actions.

2) Short stories - Involve more than one scene, but still wrap up relatively quickly. Has only one story line. Has more time for character development.

3) Novels - (This is what I write). Fully fleshed out stories where not every chapter may have kink in it, rather it has room for character and action to build to the kink-related scenes.

I really think it would be super helpful to differentiate between these. Someone who just wants a quick story doesn't wanna read a novel, and someone who enjoys the kink with more emotion and/or circumstance developed behind it will want to skip the short stories.

Also, my stories are romance-based and I don't think it makes sense to lump them with "peer relationships." Romance is its own thing separate from friends. I'd also separate incest from "peer relationships" because that's VERY specific and I'd say most people have a strong stance for whether or not they'd want to read that so it's best to be VERY clear if a story has it. So I guess I'm saying you should break that into 3 categories: Romance, Incest, Friends
2 years

Writers of ff

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, tbh the forum software just pissed me off when I was trying to quote you so I guess I took my time giving it another go. Here's hoping this turns out better.

girlcrisis:
Thanks for the very thoughtful reply, LitMistress. Would you ever post any one shots or is there a reason why you prefer to post longer stories with a plot and some form of overarching meaning? Just curious because I enjoy reading a lot of one shots and stories that don't go beyond well written smut but find that sort of thing difficult to write myself. Most of my stories either start with a scenario or a weight gain story trope that I'd like to put my own twist on but find it impossible to proceed without a sense of who the characters are as for me this informs the power dynamic between the main characters and where the main conflict/tension of the plot comes from.

I guess it's just human nature to admire/envy people who have skills that you lack but over time I've stopped feeling deprived of being a more prolific pure smut peddler and just leaned into being more character focused. I've definitely found it's been a benefit of getting back into writing after a long hiatus that it's not that difficult to pick up stories where they were left off because it's fairly easy to slip back into characters and in a way they "tell me" what's going to happen next.

I probably won't post any one shots because they aren't the kind of content I'm interested in reading nor that I'm good at writing! I tend to not even start reading anything that's shorter than 10 chapters, though I prefer longer.

I'm a big fan of romance novels going back to when I was a tween; I loved YA romance before I even read about sex. I pull a lot from that love when I write, and I find the sex scenes more fulfilling when they were built up to with a good story and are between two people who have a meaningful relationship.

Additionally, my favorite part of the kink is hedonism. I don't actually like humiliation, which I fear is obvious when I write but I try to add it in because I know people like it. Sometimes I do it well, sometimes it comes off more drama then, like, sexy I guess. But anyway, hedonism plays in VERY well with romance. It just falls right in with finding someone who really loves you for who you are, who encourages you to indulge in what makes you happy no matter what others think. I enjoy writing characters who know what their love interest wants before the love interest does... it's a fun dynamic.

This isn't to say I don't think there is merit to shorter pieces, I just think that my "brand" (if you will) is basically romance novels with characters interested in feederism. I mean, I feel like you could even argue my stuff is almost not smut at times. That doesn't bother me at all, I'd prefer to write romance. If people like shorts, I think there are many wonderful writers that are fantastically talented at writing them. And if they like longer, more thought out works, I hope they try mine.

girlcrisis:
Ah yeah, Dream Dungeon was a great story. Hopefully you'll find the time and mental/life space to finish it. Just wondering what's the most unexpected way one of your stories has changed during the writing process?

Actually, the one that changed the most was Dream Dungeon. It WAS supposed to be a shorter piece. Originally, I saw it as about 4 chapters where Jess falls prey to The Mistress and once The Mistress is done with her, she moves on to the next victim. But then the idea for the rest of the story struck me after the second chapter and I got really excited to write it. It went from just a fall into hedonism to a more dynamic story that, for me, was way more compelling.

I think that explains why I don't write shorts, also. I get too carried away with story when I try!
3 years

Last page feature missing?

THANK YOU to everyone who brought this up and to the mods that listened!

Thrilled to see it's return!
3 years

Writers of ff

Oh boy, I love talking about my writing process, thanks for asking.

Most my stories (unsurprisingly) stem from my own fantasies, what I find most enjoyable. Usually just scenes will crop into my head, and I'll give it a lot of thought and see if it can expand.

TBH, most can't. The most they can be is short stories, if not just basically one scene.

But some of the ideas I have I find have legs. They get more delicious the more plot I add, as far as I'm concerned. I find the ones that do offer me an idea to explore through the story. Dream Dungeon is honestly about what people may be afraid kink is vs how great it can be when it's done with someone who cares. Too Big To Handle is about what people tell you you should want vs being unafraid enough to go after what it is you actually do want. The Contract is about... I'll let that story grow a little more before I spoiler it smiley

Once I know what it's about, once I know it has legs, an outline kinda just forms in my head? I know the ending of any longer piece I make (except a few of the earlier ones... wonder why I didn't finish them. Though I do know DD's ending, I just had Life come up which kept me from completing it... yet). I know the major "tent poles" if you will, the major moments that drive the story. I don't always know the smaller moments and I feel like I discover a lot along the way. Sometimes I have to change tent pole moments when I've realize my story no longer built to them or my characters no longer did (i.e. Did you know Ari in TBTH was supposed to have a brother that passed away? Of course not, it later proved to not be important to the story).

So I guess I'd say it's a mixture of the two. There is an "outline" in my head, but I allow the story to also grow organically. I have moments in writing where I have to pause and really think, which leads to me deleting things, because I realize while what I'm writing works for the *scene* it doesn't support the overall story I'm trying to tell. My last chapter of The Contract was like that, I wrote it one way... but realized I had written fine good scene but not one that fit my story. So I had to edit a lot of it until it came to a place I felt like was going to actually build to what I want it to be, to where the story needs to get to.

But usually, the organic stuff is what makes writing fun sometimes. In a way, even though I know the ending, I don't always know how we're exactly going to get there. It can be stressful when you wished you set up something earlier or wish you didn't make a promise in chapter 1 that you no longer, like... want to fulfill. But I think TV shows have the same pain, it's just part of writing for something that you have to publish part of before you've actually written the whole thing.

Hope that helps somewhat smiley Or maybe it was just cathartic for me to write smiley
3 years

Premium story upload not working

So it is for sure a glitch with premium content.

When I take TBTH off premium, I can view it. But if I make it premium again, I can't.

I'm really hoping mods will see this soon.
4 years

Thanks for letting me know. It still shows up for me under the "my stories" tab.

It must be a glitch when you post something new or edit something. Assuming the other premium stories haven't been updated recently.
4 years

I just tried to upload the latest chapter of my story Too Big To Handle and now when anyone clicks on it, they get an error message saying content can't be viewed?

I did a test and uploaded a fake story called "test" and posted a false chapter. I marked it as Premium and again it couldn't be viewed.

So..... What's up with premium content uploading tonight? FF just glitching? I don't want my readership to be kept from my chapter smiley I promise them a new one each week and I take great pride in being sure they get it.
4 years

Women are so lucky to be stared at and so admired

I get why some men might feel jealous of the attention some women get, but also keep in mind that attention doesn't just come in compliments. It also comes in threats and scary situations. It comes in people on the street yelling at you until you take your headphones off to tell you you look nice when you really are just trying to get to the grocery store. It comes in men grabbing your ass while you jog even if you don't want your body touched. In extreme cases, it comes in sexual abuse (though, the things I already mentioned probably fall under that too), rape, or murder.

Attention isn't just complements, it's you being a target. And it's honestly near impossible to tell who are the "good guys" and who are the "bad guys" because both often look and act the same until you are alone with them and thus potentially in danger. I do believe a good %90 of men are the "good guys" but the other %10 are terrifying if not life threatening so it's hard to see so much attention as a positive when chances are plenty likely that every woman has talked to many men who would rape, hurt, or kill them if they got into certain situations.

This, of course, isn't new or unique to women. John Lennon had millions if not billions of adoring fans. And many who wanted him dead. And one who succeeded.

That all being said, it's fine and great if you would like "good" attention, plenty of people of all genders do. Just be aware that there is a dark side to it and that's why many women sure don't feel lucky about it, that they'd rather do away with the good so they never had to worry about the bad.

People want what they don't have, often because when you don't have it it's really hard to see the good stuff and not the bad stuff. That goes for this too; many women look jealously at men not getting catcalled while many men look at women jealously for getting likes on websites, and so on.
4 years

Premium subscribers... what do you think?

Thanks for the kind words about my writing!

Honestly, I didn't just mean my work. I was curious to see if people felt all premium content was truly a cut above the rest or what their experience is. I just wondered how people were enjoying the experience and all.

But thank you for commenting so kindly about my piece!
4 years

Premium subscribers... what do you think?

Hello, LitMistress here, author of Too Big to Handle which is premium content.

And I'm curious, how are premium subscribers enjoying their content?

Do you feel the content of this side has improved in the year-ish time it's been offered? Do you feel that the highest quality content has simply moved to premium? Do you feel authors are more consistent with their work now that they have incentive to get their stories published/finished?

Is there something you wish authors would do more of, less of, change in other ways?

I'm honestly just so curious to hear how people feel about the content they are receiving, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
4 years
12   loading