Word processors

I use Scrivener for story-writing, but for basic word-processing, I like TextMaker, which is a free Microsoft Word clone. You do have to pony up an email address so they can send you an activation code, but otherwise it costs nothing.
1 year

Formatting

You’re a level or several beyond me, in terms of trying to get more out of DA. I’m very comfortable working in HTML and CSS, but haven’t bothered messing with what DA does. No surprise they’ve changed things: seems like they’ve been on a multi-year process to modernize the site’s technical infrastructure. For many of us, it’s been a painful experience.

DA is...interesting. I think since the focus seems to be mostly on visual art, there's just not as much functionality for "literary" submissions. And honestly, I wish they would refer to it as "the written word" or something less highfalutin. I don't really think of my stories as "literature" in the same sense that I tend to use the term.

There's also the problem of indiscriminate "watching." I can't keep up. I used to operate on the "you watch me, I'll watch you" principle. It's a nice gesture, but I really don't know what someone sharing unicorn drawings (no offense to unicorn drawers) would see in my stories, and vice versa. But I guess that's a broader issue above and beyond simple formatting.

I’ve never built a site which accepts public submissions like this. Maybe it’s not as easy as it seems to do safely.

That's pretty much where I am. It's easy to nitpick, but I don't have idea one about what goes into running a website like this. Sure, there are features I wish FF had, but I'm publishing content here with a decent amount of exposure, so I don't feel entitled to complain too much.
1 year

Formatting

Munchies:
Archive of Our Own exists and it is free.

It's also a formatting wet dream.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. Anything to make formatting easier across multiple sites.
1 year

Formatting

I also post my stories across multiple sites. However, I haven't run into the technical difficulties elsewhere that I've run into here on FF.

I just discovered that DeviantArt also apparently has tweaked its formatting somewhat. I used to be able to add basic HTML tags to get my stories to default to a serif font and to indent each paragraph. But now it seems like that's been replaced by CSS. I tried to copy the CSS code that shows up in the editor so I could duplicate the style of my older posts, but it doesn't work. The CSS code shows up as text when it's published. Another minor annoyance.

I'd have to say that Curvage seems to have hit the sweet spot. Text doesn't retain the emphasis formatting I like so much when I copy and paste it into the editor there, but I guess it's not too much trouble to add it manually with the appropriate buttons.
1 year

Formatting

Thanks very much for the reply!

I guess I will have to resign myself to asterisks to indicate emphasis for the time being. But I don't have to like it!

Something else I'm not too fond of is automatic chapter numbering. That would be fine if there weren't a character limit, but back when I first started posting my stories here, the character limit was still 10,000. There was a fair amount of trial and error involved in copying and pasting just the right amount of text into the FF editor so as not to run afoul of the maximum character limit.

I found that I had to break the story into sections, which I labeled myself. My self-titled selections are along the lines of "Pt. 1," "Pt. 10," "Pt. 20," and so on. But now with the automatic chapter numbering, the titles read like "Chapter 29, Pt. 22," which makes it seem like there are 22 parts to Chapter 29. It's really frustrating.

I'm sure the readers can figure it out, but it's the principle of the thing.

Maybe eventually I'll go back and change the titles so they're less confusing, but that's an awful lot of tedious extra work.
1 year

Formatting

Apologies if this has already been addressed in another thread or elsewhere on the site (if so, feel free to direct me to the right place), but is there any way to add basic formatting to text when drafting a story?

I don't need anything fancy, but I can't live without at least bold and italics. Block indenting would be nice, too.

UBB code used to work on the "old" site but doesn't seem to function anymore.
1 year

Mct oil & "keto" foods?

Nothing much to add, except that fat is more calorically dense than carbs and protein. A gram of fat has 9 calories. Carbs and protein each have 4 calories per gram.

That said, I wouldn't go chugging MCT oil in the hope that it would act as some kind of weight gain elixir. MCT oil is basically a type of refined coconut oil that is liquid at room temperature. Purportedly it provides a long-lasting energy boost and mental clarity...if you're already in ketosis. (By the way, we're talking maybe a teaspoon here at one go.) Having used it for this purpose, I would say there might be something to it, but it's hard to say how much is just hype or placebo effect.

But in general, dietary oils are poorly absorbed, and consumed in any significant quantity most likely will result in indigestion or other gastric unpleasantness.
4 years

How would you discuss with a friend?

I would say keep it sort of light and jokey for a while. There's truth in humor, and most people will drop the subject of weight gain or fatness pretty quickly, since it tends to make most people uncomfortable. So the longer you can keep on successfully steering the conversation towards feedism-related topics, the more likely it is that your friend has some interest in it. And if your friend responds with any kind of enthusiasm, that's probably a dead giveaway.

Inadvertently finding someone in real life who's into any of this, even tangentially, would be quite a feat.
4 years

How hard is it to meet people into this?

Nojustice129:
Not to sound entirely negative but its near damn impossible. I was talking to a girl who was actually about 20 minutes away from me and just totally flaked out on me before we could actually meet. No one is serious on here. Most girls just want people to pay them to get fat so they can show a few pictures....

This has been my experience as well.

I've also encountered a few catfishers, although I suspect those are one or two of the same people just periodically creating fake accounts, which disappear after a couple of days at most.
4 years

Feedist songs

"Fat" by Violent Femmes.
4 years
12345   loading