What's good on tv?

Munchies:
Thoughts on Lower Decks?

If you like Star Trek at all, and like Rick & Morty at all, it's a must watch. It seems to kind of combine them both together.

It's definitely funnier and more humorous than the other Star Trek series.

But if you don't like the kind of humor Rick & Morty has, maybe give it a pass.
1 month

Roommate making you fatter

This reads like a weight gain fic, not gonna lie.
1 month

Weight gain begins to stagnate

Plateaus are a fact of life. I don't think it's fully understood why it happens.

To be clear, I'm NOT a doctor, much less a medical or biological research scientist.

One theory I have however, is that since it takes energy to produce additional fat cells, as well as perhaps limited room in existing fat cells, a plateau effect occurs.

It's also my understanding that once additional fat cells are created, they don't get destroyed later, and they want to remain filled. This is why maintaining weight loss can be such a struggle, and why regain often occurs.

Eventually, the plateau will end. Trust the process, and keep eating as much as you can.

And yes, perhaps obviously the heavier you get, the more you have to eat just not to lose. Although, the heavier you get, the hungrier you get, and you will crave fattier, more calorie dense foods, so it's more likely you'll keep those calorie goals. But many/most of us consider this a feature, not a bug.

Heavy cream can also be very effective, and seems to be the closest thing to a real life fat potion, but only if you use it correctly. In particular, it should NOT be your only or even primary source of calories. But rather, in addition to all the other food you eat. Combining it with carbs of various sorts in particular. Cream can sometimes also be a bit slower to digest and even suppress appetite in the very short/near term, so the best time is right before going to sleep, or if you know you can't eat for several hours following. Whereas the worst time is right before a proper meal.
1 month

Anyone know a diet good for getting fatter?

Sage:
I don't really know at this point. I'm just curious for what others think of for a great fattening diet. I wouldn't mind if there are some absurdly ridiculous ones out there either. Just bored. And I want to see if they would work.

(Temporarily of course. Gainer's gotta save money and eat I suppose)

β˜ΊοΈπŸ‘πŸ‘

This is my opinion. Ultimately, it really boils down to what you'd like to achieve, and what lengths you are willing to go there.

I'm sort of in-between, which is while I do want results, I also want to enjoy the journey there.

The key, important thing is to find what works for you. One can attempt to try to over-analyze everything, even down to calorie efficiency based on what you eat, calories burned by physical activity, etc. But I recommend throwing such notions out of the window.

Don't worry about calories burned from physical activity. Actually, some light activity will likely help immensely. And here's another thing.. the number of calories burned from such activities is minimal. Ever wonder why so many burn out on overexercising while trying to lose weight? That, combined with a sad, boring diet is why.

There are ultimately two very important things to remember, and if you do that, everything else will eventually fall into place. Are you ready?

1. Eat more calories than you burn.

2. Be consistent.

(1) should be obvious. You should probably get some idea of how many calories you need to eat just to maintain. There's a myriad of web sites out there that will attempt to estimate this. All of them are likely to be slightly wrong, but if you try many of them, and average them out, that should give you a pretty good idea.

(2) this should be more obvious, but is less so. You will NOT see results overnight. In fact, if you can consistently gain 1-2 lbs a week you will be doing very well. Life is NOT a weight gain fic. The closest thing to a real life weight gain fic is probably a cruise ship or all-inclusive vacation resort of some sort.

Big stuffings can be fun, but if that means you eat almost nothing the next day because you're nauseous or still too full, you would have wiped out any progress from the stuffing.

The key is consistency - consistently eating more. If that means eating not as much today, to be able to eat the same amount tomorrow, this is better than a big stuffing.

Other Advice

Don't try to eat the exact same thing every day. Even if it's technically the most economical. That will get boring quickly, and you will probably burn out - not fun.

Do try different food on occasion.

Do have fun. The more fun you have, the easier it is to keep going.

Do occasionally try to push yourself to eat more, but not until the point that you're sick every day, or worse.. throwing up. That overly full feeling, where most folks might think "I ate too much" is a pretty good target.

If you try to eat more, take small steps. One more slice of pizza, or just a few more nuggets or chicken strips. But avoid big leaps. If you tap out at 4 slices of pizza, don't suddenly try for 8 slices for the whole pizza.

Try small minor changes that might add calories. Maybe you'll like them, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll develop a taste for them. For example.. extra cheese on a sandwich or pizza, or slightly more mayo. Or cream and sugar in coffee (I don't like that combination but a lot of folks do).

You WILL have plateaus from time to time. Don't worry about it and just keep eating. I've actually noticed that often times it'll seem like nothing is happening and then suddenly, I notice an additional 2-4 lbs or so.

Do NOT go crazy with soda or anything that contains HFCS - that will mess you up bad and cause diabetes, which is NOT fun. And it's not even that high in calories.

Do NOT neglect vitamins - whether from vegetables, multivitamin pills, or even nutritional shakes (which can have lots of calories). You'll regret it if you do.

Heavy Cream

Lot of folks here will swear by heavy cream. It CAN work, if you use it properly.

Be consistent.

Don't try it on an empty stomach. It's best when combined or right after other food, often something carbo-loaded like bread.

You might find there's only so much dairy fat you can handle at one time. I can't tell you what that amount is, so you'd have to experiment. This amount you can handle might increase over time, but if you do, increase the amount each time slowly.

Do mix it with other things for taste. Do NOT mix it with anything that contains maltodextrin. That powdery stuff isn't that fun anyway, but even if you aren't bothered by that, I should note it's often used as a thickening agent and can cause dairy fat to clump, resulting in an extremely thick, undrinkable mixture.

That's all I can think of for now.
2 months

Movies and tv shows about fat people?

I remembered a TV show from around 15 years ago related to this, but it did show for 6 seasons, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

It's called Drop Dead Diva, more info here:

www.imdb.com/title/tt1280822/

It features Brooke Elliott and Margaret Cho, amongst others.

It's quite cheesy, and of course it's fiction with a sort of fantasy aspect to it. It's a legal drama with a dash of romantic comedy. I normally find that off-putting, but I feel like it portrays heavier individuals in a more positive light than negative. There is ONE brief scene in one episode I remember that could be portrayed as negative, where the main character was hungry beyond belief or otherwise distressed, until she ate some Cheez-Whiz straight out of the can, but I consider it forgivable. It was only one brief scene in the first season, and I don't recall anything like that in any of the other seasons.

Still, for something that came out in '09, I'd say it was very size positive. This was at a time when Target and many other stores didn't feature plus-size mannequins, when more clothing brands didn't feature sizes above 20 or even 12, and the size/body positivity movement was only a fraction of what it is now.

Are there ways they could have done better? Probably, and I think so, but I think it did a pretty good job.

The main character often struggled with perceptions from others, trying to reconcile her new life with her old life, learning that it's not so easy and can't just decide not to be fat, a different perception from a former model who previously used to be mean to fat people. She was often featured as a heroine fighting against forces that seek to shame fat people as well as other nasty actors out there (and often winning!), and overall, ultimately became a much better person.
3 months

So close to 200! wonder how i should celebrate?

I was thinking one of those small cakes one can buy from the supermarket bakery. Maybe even make a video of eating it.

I wonder if there might not be a better idea out there, though.

Nothing too over the top, but at the same time I'd like to think of something somewhat special. As ideally, once I cross 200 I don't wish to ever be below that again, so I'm expecting this is something I can only do once. This isn't to say there wouldn't be other milestone celebrations, but there's just something nice and psychological about 200, you know? The next nice psychological step/milestone would probably be 221 lbs (which is 100 kgs).
3 months

Why are so many discussions getting locked?

I wouldn't mind hearing more about this, myself. Particularly about the bits where supposedly, "the posts that COULD justify some moderator comment remain unacted upon."

I can assure everyone that none of the moderators are on a power trip. We do however, uphold the rules to the best of our ability as time permits. This includes attempts at deliberate harassment and bigotry. We do try to be proactive, but there is no 24/7 coverage, so we do rely on other members to point out questionable content.

On occasion, preemptive action might be taken. There was that one thread that somehow devolved and derailed into a discussion about Nazis. While it had remained civil, one could just sense a high degree of emotions, and there's the vibe that it might go off, like a ticking time bomb. Particularly if it seems that everyone involved is just angry and emotionally very invested. One of those types of arguments where it seems like everyone loses.

While we do try to avoid false positives, and I think we have done a very good job at this - sometimes there could be questionable gray areas and sometimes taking action can rely just on gut feelings. Although, I haven't seen a really bad call get taken lately.
3 months

Best place to go for (cheap) clothes for button popping?

I Am Probably Cranky:
Feeder (kind of)/FA with a partner who loves to stuff/bloat, and also loves the idea of button popping.

I'm thinking of places, like both online and physical stores. Location is IL, Chicago Area (which is a big area, so I'm not doxxing myself lol). Shirts or pants, honestly (though I kinda like shirt option more).

If you have a particular shirt/pair of pants to share, please do!

I think I just need to get a few individuals' options and opinions, rather than trying to go out in this overwhelming world of options.

There's a myriad of cheap options out there, since for this purpose you aren't going to care if it's tacky and/or poorly made. A lot of these are likely things you shouldn't wear day to day.

As a bonus, if it's cheap, the stitching is likely to be weak with buttons more weakly attached, suggesting they're more likely to burst.

A few ideas:

- Thrift stores but someone mentioned that already.

- Clearance Racks.

Most stores always end up with too much stock, and repeatedly make the mistake of stocking tacky stuff no one actually wants, or gets rarely used even if someone does buy it.

- Yard/garage sales - probably listed on Craigslist these days.

- Freecycle/NextDoor

Maybe Facebook, too.

- Wal-Mart or Target (at least for tops)

Wrangler jeans are actually quite well made despite the relative cheapness.

- No-name clothing off of Amazon

Especially the stuff with pricing almost too cheap to believe. There is Temu but there have been too many anecdotal reports of bogus purchases, or being for an incorrect amount.

And finally, perhaps the most fun idea of them all -

A stockpile of old clothing you have that didn't fit 20+ or even 40+ lbs ago.
3 months

Girl scout cookies

Oh my God I love the Thin Mints. Alas I don't really have access right now; no such coworkers.

Fun fact... the vast majority of the sales do NOT come from the actual girl scouts asking folks to buy. Instead, something like 95%+ of the sales come from their parents asking coworkers to order and buy.

Might be a good thing though.. because otherwise I'd probably get so many boxes, because I will end up demolishing the entire box in one sitting.
3 months

This site has been around a long time.

2seatsalways:
Ooh I like this voting idea!! Totally every profile is real here πŸ˜‰

Until cliques form and then those users will vote "fake" en-masse on a particular target that's on the shitlist of the clique as a form of "griefing."

That's why such a voting system can't be put in place. You can still "vote" fake by reporting a profile. While that's not a guarantee of removal, the odds are very good if the profile is a scammer.

I do miss the maps, but I would guess whatever API was used broke, and an appropriate replacement was never identified.
3 months
12345   loading