Punk

the joker wrote:
ah the words ***ing rotter what a impact it made.

i always thought that malcom mcclaren went to new york managed the dolls for a brief period came back opened up a s&m shop called sex put a advert out and thus punk was born.

i would say sex pistols becomeing mainstream did became the platform of what punk become ie getting people intrested spawning bands upon bands the dammed was the most popular underground band at the time i belive
Malcolm McClarens shop "SEX" was very important to the whole movement. It was where the "Bromley Contingent" and all the Sex Pistols members met, which is why the Pistols were really considered the first punk band, as they used the clothing from that shop, which was all part of the image. Technically The Stranglers were already gigging and supported The Ramones on tour, but were never really considered punk amongst the purists. It was because their music and lyrics were so aggressive that they got tagged punk as well.

The Damned formed after the Sex Pistols, pretty much at the same time as The Clash, but they did release the first punk single "New Rose", much to McCarens displeasure. There was a lot of oneupmanship amongst the managers of the main three punk bands at the time.
11 years

Punk

the joker wrote:
punk was malcom mcclarens invention theres no disputeing that but the sex pistols are the yard stick
That's not entirely true. See any documentary, or read any book on the subject and you will find that punk would have existed even without the Pistols. There were many artists who were listening to the American "New Wave" groups and were in position to start bands. Punk originated from a mixture of styles from American Garage, American Alternative and Pub Rock in the UK and it was those that got inspired by these groups that got punk started.

The Pistols were the first to get an alternative sound together and inspired many bands to do likewise, so in that sense they were the most important. However, what really propelled punk and the Pistols to become mainstream was the Bill Grundy interview. Without that interview punk would have remained in a more underground state for a lot longer. However, it still would have risen to prominence eventually due to so many groups producing great music.
11 years

Going to the pub?

Nearly always cider, but when I'm feeling too bloated I go on Southern Comfort.
11 years

Punk

As someone who lived and breathed punk from about 1980-1984 I have to say something.

Although interested in punk when it first started, I really got into it through what is called "Post-punk", by most journalists. However, by late 1981 I was fed up with none of my friends wanting to go to punk gigs, so I decided to go by myself.

On the crest of Oi and Anarcho-punk at the time being big, plus loads of other new bands making noise (what many people don't realise was that 1982 saw more punk records sold than any other year, by miles). During that time I went to so many gigs I can't remember how many, or how many bands I saw (several hundered for sure).

Loved every minute of those times. Back stage with The Adicts, Defects, Chron Gen and The Damned (through my friendship with a French girl called Bambi). I wouldn't call myself a scenester, but was definitely a part of the scene in 1982/3. I still see some of the old bands like SLF and The Stranglers and have to say they are as good live as any bands you could see and it's great to see many youngsters there that have found there way to see these bands.

As for punk being bastardised, I agree with the OP, but that is mainly the American bands that call themselves punk, like the ones mentioned. Personally feel that the "punk spirit" does appear, but not always where expected (see the rave scene 1980's). Feel The Prodigy kept that spirit alive, then The Strokes, Libertines, The Hives, The Cribs and The Others were all definitely punk. Later The New-Rave groups kept that alive by both spirit and originality. Late of the Peer, Klaxons, Metronomy and Egyptian Hip Hop are about the only bands that are pushing the boundaries of music at the moment, but their music is much more in the Post-punk style.

Sorry if this post is rather long, but this is my subject reguarding music.
11 years

Currently listening to?

Metronomy's English Riviera album, can't stop playing it.
11 years

Why no end of the world party?

Anyone want to have a bet with me about the world ending tomorrow. I'll give you odds of 1000/1 that it ends tomorrow, N/O that we are still alive.
11 years

Fears

1. Being destitute and dying alone.

2. Suffering in a completely disabled body and not being able to choose my own death.

3. Being burnt to death.
11 years

When did the bar drop ....

Maimee wrote:
Being poor at maths does NOT make you stupid or incompetent. I'm intelligent and capable in plenty of ways, but never has numeracy been a forte of mine. It pisses me off to no end when people think there's only one way to be smart, and that it's with numbers.
I wasn't having a go at anyone who struggles with maths, but more very simple arithmetic. I mean seriously would anyone here really have had difficulty with the situation I described.
11 years

Last chance for ff halloween!

mcfalgan wrote:
Sounds like fun and I can see if anyone on this site is real yey!!
Then pay your money and go. You can look up the pictures of previous meet ups if you wish.
11 years

When did the bar drop ....

Reaperman wrote:
I would suggest before bemoaning the drop in standards to at least do a spell check on your posts. Otherwise you seem just a touch hypocritical.
Yes I noticed the spelling mistakes too, but people unable to do even the most basic of maths do really annoy me and I tend to get rather short with them over their incompetancy.

I was in a shop once where the person behind the counter couldn't add up £5 and £2 and what change should be given from £10. Seriously no one should be that stupid.
11 years
23456   loading