Climate change

Then why did the average world temperature set a new record record every month for months on end? Why has the average world temperature almost reach the threshold of a 2 C increase? Why have the average ocean temperatures continue to climb and the melting of glaciers and shelf ice accelerated over the past 10 years as shown in NASA satellite photos? The earth is at a tipping point near the edge of cataclysmic change.

The energy went into warming the oceans, melting ice, and extreme storms (more of them and more intense). Even insurance companies have taken notice and endorsed ways to slow climate change by altering human's destructive habits.
3 years

Climate change

Great thoughts and arguments. I might offer two common sense observations. First, using a mass balance man has been removing fossil fuels from carbon storage since the Bronze Age. Carbon that was sequestered by our Mother during the Carboniterous Age. This mass is being transferred to other parts of our biosphere like the atmosphere creating an insulating blanket. Only man, not gators or hippos, is extracting carbon resources and consuming them, which release insulating gases into the atmosphere. Beneficial reuse of sludge sequesters the carbon back into the soil helping to mitigate erosion and providing water retention and organic nutrients for agriculture.

Once on a slippery slope, the planet moves more rapidly oward a cataclysmic event throwing things out of balance along the way, like extreme storms, glacier melting, disappearing ice pack, and pronged drought. Why do pandemics spread rapidly? Because the natural balance is upset and the disease takes advantage, just like the Black Plague throughout the UK in the 1600s following drought and famine. And so, it repeats again. The snowball is rolling and picking up speed.

Economically, alternative sustainable energy has offered more job opportunities than the number of people currently employed in fossil fuels. The same has happened with the rise of computers creating many well paying jobs. Preventing further climate change will create an avalanche or tsunami of job and business opportunities. Paying 10% more for is a small price to pay for a healthy planet and a good quality of life. Are those plastic bags and other consumable plastics critical? No! Overfishing, which is idling related industries? No!

Our oceans are at a tipping point. Acidification and temperature escalation. Given the carbonate equilibrium, only so much acidic carbon dioxide can be absorbed. That is why freshwater aquariums require continuous pH adjustment. Accretion of carbonates to form limestone is a very slow process and acidification reverses that process while consuming the buffer capacity of the oceans. Storms from climate change accelerate the heating of the oceans and alter the movement and paths of the currents, which alters the productivity and food chain. The net result is less food for us.

I leave you with this. All life is interdependent for the circle to remain intact. Our Mother has done an incredible job of creating niches for life to flourish, balance among ecosystems and living things, and evolving through time in a resilient and orderly fashion. Everything worked harmoniously and holistically before man.

Think about this. The male bee in Peru seeks out a specific type of plant to pollinate and recover nectar. Why? So he can attract females bees and mate. If the plant goes extinct, so do the bees and other species dependent on them for pollination and food. Climate change is the biggest threat to them.
3 years

How far do you allow this to affect your romantic relationships?

I am so sorry for your situation. Kudos! to you to investigate his fetish and empower yourself. Knowledge is power. I hope this site provides you insight and allows introspection and reflection as you choose a path to continue your journey to happiness. This is the most mature and thoughtful response I have witnessed on any of these sites. My hat is off to you!! Remember, respect, trust, communication, and dignity are the foundations for love and intimacy. Best of Luck!!
3 years

Climate change

My good man! I am an ocean and environmental engineer specializing in reuse, repurposing, waste minimization. Currently, I am repurposing sludge for beneficial reuse in agriculture and horticulture despite efforts to the contrary by the political elite in my state.

Interestingly, the ice cores from Greenland and tree rings that reach back 10 000 years clearly identify the impacts of the expansion of the Roman Empire on CO2 levels and climate around the world. There is proof that each major step and expansion of development is paired with a corresponding increase in CO2 levels and climate alteration. Just ask the Vikings in Greenland! The Artic is more sensitive and susceptible to atmospheric changes than other areas as the most recent observations have documented the drastic changes in temperatures and ice formations.

Thanks!! for this thread. What we eat impacts climate!
3 years

First time with heavy cream

Have the heavy cream with dinner or for dessert. Do not drink it after 7 PM. You have acid reflux from it, which is caused by increased acid production in response to the fat in the cream. Pepsid and other similar acid inhibitors may help.
3 years

Gaining together?

Go for 50 to 100 pounds!!
3 years

Better than coke and mentos?

Tums and Ginger Ale!
3 years

What was your high school experience like?

FigureBySnacks:
High school was pretty awesome. I was the skinny weird chick, but I was never really bullied or anything. Stage crew, choir, anime club, Teen Advisory Board and Writing Group at the library. And when I say "weird" I mean, I did (and still do) strive to be weird af. Like running around with post-its that say things on my forehead, writing poems and taping them to my back, knee socks with capris as a regular outfit.

WaistingAway:
I can totally relate! In my high school class (BHS '72) my set was known as the freaks. We showed up to school wearing capes and masks and ran our own underground newspaper. As I recall, nobody in my group gave a shit whether you were fat, skinny, ugly, beautiful, whatever. We let the popular kids worry about all that. We went out of our way to do stuff that made us outcasts -- except to each other.

FigureBySnacks:
Haha, we were going to start our own paper, but apparently doing so would get you suspended/expelled because the uncle of one of our friends ruined that for everyone well before we got there! I don't think many people would have blinked if I wore a cape. I did somehow get away with wearing an "illegal" trench coat rather often. I'm not sure how I never got in trouble for dress code violations.

And what was under the trench coat?
4 years

To shave or not to shave

No! Stay all natural! Not shave!
4 years

Weekend immobility experiment

Funnel feeding with healthy calories will really boost your fullfillment and satisfaction. Smoothies are the best using fruit, nuts, heavy cream, peanut butter, chocolate, and coconut oil. Try to minimize the raw sugars to minimize impacts on your body's systems.
5 years
123   loading