General

I feel like i can’t fall in love?

Okay I’m 18 and I just started college. So basically I have liked guys attractive and have liked guys from afar like celebrities or people I have never talked too but I have never liked someone for their personality in a romantic way. Like the guys I would have crushes on, I had this fake idea of who they were and I thought I was in love with their perosnality but I just ended up making up who I thought they were. I just don’t understand what it feels like to fall in love with someone’s personality I guess. I’m gay and in the closet so I’ve never dated but I’m just scared I’ll never be in a true relationship because I feel like I’m incapable for falling in love with someone. The relationship would just end up feeling like a friendship. Does anyone have any advice?
4 years

Zelda64:
Okay I’m 18 and I just started college. So basically I have liked guys attractive and have liked guys from afar like celebrities or people I have never talked too but I have never liked someone for their personality in a romantic way. Like the guys I would have crushes on, I had this fake idea of who they were and I thought I was in love with their perosnality but I just ended up making up who I thought they were. I just don’t understand what it feels like to fall in love with someone’s personality I guess. I’m gay and in the closet so I’ve never dated but I’m just scared I’ll never be in a true relationship because I feel like I’m incapable for falling in love with someone. The relationship would just end up feeling like a friendship. Does anyone have any advice?

Wait. The one is coming, there's plenty of time.
4 years

Zelda64:

Chubbypup:
Wait. The one is coming, there's plenty of time.

Thanks I really hope so. Do u think I just need to get to know someone over a period of time
4 years

Jagger is a boss:
It all depends... You can fall in love with a guy you already know. Or you could meet some perfect new guy like in some one in a million story book chance. It all depends on both the type of person you are and the type of person they are.I've been in the same situation, looking for love lol. You won't know until you really know. (As for the making up personalities for strangers just get to know them and learn there actuall one)

Thanks lol. I just feel like I’m incapable of falling in love
4 years

You're 18---it's totally normal to not have fallen in love yet. So no need to fret on that yet.

Can you help me understand something? If I understand correctly, it sounds like you've had feelings for people before, but the feelings have changed once you get to know them better.

To me, it sounds like you have the *capacity* to fall in love, but it just hasn't happened yet. Is that accurate? Have you felt romantic attraction before?

Do you notice any trends about what causes you to lose feelings?
4 years

greentrees8733:
You're 18---it's totally normal to not have fallen in love yet. So no need to fret on that yet.

Can you help me understand something? If I understand correctly, it sounds like you've had feelings for people before, but the feelings have changed once you get to know them better.

To me, it sounds like you have the *capacity* to fall in love, but it just hasn't happened yet. Is that accurate? Have you felt romantic attraction before?

Yeah I think so I guess it just that I’ve only liked guys that I’ve never talked too. This includes celebrities and people I have seen but never really talked too. It’s just when I get to them them personally I always lose my feels I guess. So I’ve Desired to be in a relationship with someone but when I get to know their personality I lose it.
4 years

greentrees8733:

Zelda64:
Yeah I think so I guess it just that I’ve only liked guys that I’ve never talked too. This includes celebrities and people I have seen but never really talked too. It’s just when I get to them them personally I always lose my feels I guess. So I’ve Desired to be in a relationship with someone but when I get to know their personality I lose it.

Oh jeez, that sounds disheartening--feeling like maybe you're finally gonna feel it, and then you don't.

Check out the book "attached". It's a pretty light read, about the general patterns of attachment that people from with their romantic partners.

But again, I'll offer the refrain: you're 18. very normal to have not been in love yet.
4 years