Gaining

Past the point of no return

Edxl:
Canuck, totally that habit of going for a walk and getting a treat is such a mood, and such a way to lock in your weight.

canuck:

the exercise might be helping my breathing a little, but i find my hips are getting sore, so i think i need to take some days off between walks.

Also: stretching. Both being sedentary and getting bigger can cause your muscles to tend to tighten up, at which point they may not stretch properly and so put more stress on your joints. Do those old gym class stretches as best you can, and figure out new ways to stretch despite your new inches, and it should help (as will just walking regularly)
3 years

MissPorker:
The point of no return is very real. Once you change your lifestyle and accept being a pig, it's hard to find and keep the motivation to go back. Also, once you gain, your body does what it can to maintain the weight. I've gone weeks of eating 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day with practically no activity and I didn't lose any weight. Lastly, I've gotten to the point where my mobility is limited. It's painful dragging myself through a supermarket so I rely on drive thru and delivery. We all have our vices...food and fat just happens to be mine.

what you have written there resonates so much with me. my mobility has just started to decline in the last little while, though i am a fair bit smaller than you are.

your comment about "vice" really caught my attention, and it made me think, am i using food and overeating as a vice? i can see i am leaning into it, in a kind of hedonistic way, to derive pleasure... so yes, probably it has become a vice!
3 years

To speak truth the real point of no return is when you struggle with the ugly or non fantasy side of being fat, and you prefer that to feeling empty or hollow inside going without food like you once did.
You block out people who nag you over your eating or weight or use them as a trigger to stuff that much more when they leave or no longer around.
Overloading your poor belly, mentally pushing aside the struggle you'll have days or week later when it starts to show.
3 years

Edxl:

Also: stretching. Both being sedentary and getting bigger can cause your muscles to tend to tighten up, at which point they may not stretch properly and so put more stress on your joints. Do those old gym class stretches as best you can, and figure out new ways to stretch despite your new inches, and it should help (as will just walking regularly)

great tip! em is trying to get me to do yoga with her... i am a little reluctant, but yeah i can really feel the tightness after sitting in front of my computer for hours.
3 years

Pummeluff:
That's sooo true. Once you really develop those habits they are there to stay. I can't imagine going back to my old eating habits. Something would missing. And it's pretty hard to get yourself to do sports again once you quit and get used to being lazy.

this is so true, and this is why it feels like there is no return to being skinny, for me... when it gets hard to walk any distance, or up a flight of stairs, it just makes me want to go sit on the couch!

when i started to measure the calories i was consuming, i tried to reign in my appetite for a few days, to get under 4,000 calories a day... omg, it felt like a punishment! i wondered how could anyone live that way??? lol
3 years

MissPorker:
The point of no return is very real. Once you change your lifestyle and accept being a pig, it's hard to find and keep the motivation to go back. Also, once you gain, your body does what it can to maintain the weight. I've gone weeks of eating 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day with practically no activity and I didn't lose any weight. Lastly, I've gotten to the point where my mobility is limited. It's painful dragging myself through a supermarket so I rely on drive thru and delivery. We all have our vices...food and fat just happens to be mine.

This right here. Once you break past that chubby point to obese that is where your whole mindset shifts.
3 years

NYCBellyBlimp:
To speak truth the real point of no return is when you struggle with the ugly or non fantasy side of being fat, and you prefer that to feeling empty or hollow inside going without food like you once did.
You block out people who nag you over your eating or weight or use them as a trigger to stuff that much more when they leave or no longer around.
Overloading your poor belly, mentally pushing aside the struggle you'll have days or week later when it starts to show.

Agreed. There is a path that is rarely spoken about and that is that mental transition to accepting that your gluttony has become ravenous. I call it REFRAMING; I had to reframe how I saw myself and what being obese was really like and owning the fact that I now have a new normal. I can't run up the steps anymore because my thighs rub together and I have a hanging gut so I had to become mindful of that. When you get this obese, you only want to be around people who love it as well because now eating, sleeping and gaining become your only obsessions and all you will have energy for because you have zero stamina and eventually acceptance just sets in.
3 years

NYCBellyBlimp:

Agreed. There is a path that is rarely spoken about and that is that mental transition to accepting that your gluttony has become ravenous. I call it REFRAMING; I had to reframe how I saw myself and what being obese was really like and owning the fact that I now have a new normal. I can't run up the steps anymore because my thighs rub together and I have a hanging gut so I had to become mindful of that. When you get this obese, you only want to be around people who love it as well because now eating, sleeping and gaining become your only obsessions and all you will have energy for because you have zero stamina and eventually acceptance just sets in.
3 years

NYCBellyBlimp:

3 years

WideJuan76:
There is a path that is rarely spoken about and that is that mental transition to accepting that your gluttony has become ravenous. I call it REFRAMING; I had to reframe how I saw myself and what being obese was really like and owning the fact that I now have a new normal.

exactly - the new normal. i have made a few attempts to eat "normal" and get my daily calories below 4,000 and i was just miserable! i was just so hungry all the time.

i stepped on the scale today (this is not an april fool's joke!) for the first time in a month, and it said 330 - the number has never so high before, which wasn't really a surprise, but i kind of expect it to, like, level out, you know?
3 years
1234   loading