"searching for a story" thread

hurgon:
Hey - many thanks! I had to set up an account with that site to check, but when it's (hopefully) accepted I'll check and let you know.

snr6424:
No problem. Let me know if you have trouble joining the site, I can just forward you the actual story.[/quote]

Actually, no response yet - so if you wouldn't mind, that would be great!
8 years

[quote]hurgon:
I remember that last one, but not well enough to find it. Sorry!

Looking for one myself, and any help would be much appreciated!

It was posted on a blog ages ago and perhaps elsewhere, called something like "Nobody tells Jake what to do", or it might've been Jack.

The story starts with the recently-married protagonist lazing on the couch after dinner with his eyes closed. His wife's friend, thinking he's asleep, comments to her that he's getting a "corn-fed look" about him. The wife replies that she's been feeding him up a bit to a size she likes and, having now achieved that, will start to give him healthy meals to keep him at his current weight. When her friend wonders if he might object to a leaner diet, the wife boasts that he'll "eat whatever I put in front of him".

The husband, still feigning sleep, is angry and decides to, ah, undermine her scheme.

snr6424:
I believe this may be the story you were looking for: ]www.bellybuilders.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php

Hey - many thanks! I had to set up an account with that site to check, but when it's (hopefully) accepted I'll check and let you know.
8 years

Story updates and bumps

Fair points, though I reckon most people who'd take the trouble to revise their chapters to that extent would probably also update the story's overall description to say they'd made changes. So if altering the description bumped the story, perhaps that would work - especially if it were explained in an FAQ or sticky post.
8 years

Story updates and bumps

Thanks! Personally, afraid I can't offer any suggestions from a technical pov, but if it bumped only when a chapter was added, or when the story description changed, that'd be good.
8 years

Story updates and bumps

First off, love the recent changes to the design.

Just one quibble: I'd like to be able to edit an existing page of a story without this automatically bumping the story to the top of the "latest stories" list.

Not sure how easy it'd be to implement, or what others think, but it's something I'd appreciate. I'm forever spotting small things I'd like to tweak (as well as various grammatical and spelling mistakes), but am reluctant to make changes because the story will bump to the top, giving the impression that it's been updated in a serious way, when it hasn't.
8 years

Descriptive words

Good point. The other sense and emotions are important. It's easy to describe how something looks and forget to describe how it feels (or, to an observer, how it looks like it would feel). Sometimes sounds, smells, etc can help too. These things definitely make a picture more vivid.

I find it hard to be original, but I try to look for the small details in pics to get ideas, then turn to the thesaurus to see if there are better words. For metaphors, I just try to ask myself, "Is there something easy to visualise that this looks like?" But I don't come up with many and it's hard to know where they come from!
8 years

I remember that last one, but not well enough to find it. Sorry!

Looking for one myself, and any help would be much appreciated!

It was posted on a blog ages ago and perhaps elsewhere, called something like "Nobody tells Jake what to do", or it might've been Jack.

The story starts with the recently-married protagonist lazing on the couch after dinner with his eyes closed. His wife's friend, thinking he's asleep, comments to her that he's getting a "corn-fed look" about him. The wife replies that she's been feeding him up a bit to a size she likes and, having now achieved that, will start to give him healthy meals to keep him at his current weight. When her friend wonders if he might object to a leaner diet, the wife boasts that he'll "eat whatever I put in front of him".

The husband, still feigning sleep, is angry and decides to, ah, undermine her scheme.
8 years
345   loading