Are there any simple ways to improve writing skills?

How I write a story on fantasy feeder

Before I start, I have to have some ideas in my head.
Who is the main character? ...I need a name, occupation, possibly a hobby, what is the character like? Are they a vain, fitness freak? ...or a skinny ginger geek.
Is there a secondary character? ...I need the same details about them in my head too.
Why and how does the main character gain weight? Do they want to do it or is it thrust upon them by measures beyond their control. Is the weight gain rapid, or very slow.
What causes the weight gain?

After a day or two of mulling about different ideas, I start writing the first chapter. Sometimes I can’t write an introduction or a title because I do not yet know what the story is about! Stick any old thing down here for now, you can always change it later.

In chapter one I will usually introduce my main character. In chapter two I will introduce a secondary character.
In chapter three the concept of weight gain is introduced.
After that, I let the characters guide the story.
I’m not very good at endings and I tend to leave stories unfinished or take them too far.

I tend not to proof read my own work. On occasions when I have some this, I have edited so much that the story may take a completely new direction!
I tend to write a sentence and then look back over it, checking it for spelling and grammatical errors, while I think of what I am going to write next.

I may write a chapter, put it down, muse over it while I do other things and then come back later, change the way I have written a paragraph or two, then move onto the next. Sometimes, I am inspired to write several chapters at once!

I tend to write on my iPad, (which is not an ideal medium). I need to watch out for auto-correct mistakes. Typing on a touch pad is not brilliant either. However, I am at my most creative just before I go to sleep or just before I get up.
I have written in MS Word and then copy and pasted onto fantasy feeder too, but that is usually when I am very inspired, or doing a radical rewrite.

I think writing on a phone and then asking readers to excuse spelling mistakes is an easy excuse for not writing properly and not checking your work before it is published.
I understand that we are not perfect and the odd typo can pass through undetected, but I you are serious about writing, don’t leave everything up to spellcheck. Know the difference between ‘know’ and ‘no’, for instance. ‘Weight’ and ‘wait’, ‘see’ and ‘sea’.

Hope this helps!
4 years

Are there any simple ways to improve writing skills?

Writing an essay is a completely different skill to creative writing.
In a scientific article or essay, especially if it is for an assignment or exam, you are not allowed to state your own opinion on anything. Every comment or argument has to be backed up by published research, including quotes. Everything has to be referenced appropriately.
In contrast, creative writing should be very descriptive. It should not reference other works and it should all be your own work, although another writer may inspire you, sowing the seed for your creativity to grow.
Creative writing does not have to have an introduction, an analysis and a conclusion. You may wish to start at the end and work backwards in a series of flashbacks. Or you could describe the same event from two points of view.
The best way to learn how to write, as others here have said, is to read lots of books by various authors in different styles.
Writing a journal may help.
4 years

Spelling and grammar

My English teachers would have put a red pen through any abbreviation. They would not allow you to start any sentence with ‘and’ or ‘because’. Commas before ‘and’ were not allowed either.
4 years

Spelling and grammar

Please can story writers make some attempt at getting their spelling right! I am aware the odd typo slips in. I am aware autocorrect makes some peculiar changes that the writer is not aware about. I can forgive one or two slips! I can tolerate American spelling vs English spelling... just about.
Some writers seem to have no concept of basic grammar and the differences between the same word spelled differently. It changed the entire meaning and interrupts the flow of the writing!
For instance, if I repeat the first sentence of this post the way some would write it, it would read:
‘Please can storey righters make som attempt about getting their spelling write!’ Do you see what I mean?
I know I’m old fashioned, but there we are! Bad spelling drives me nuts!
4 years

Mind control/corruption weight gain stories

I’ve done a few mind control stories, but the main character is usually male.
5 years

Chapters

Wow! The honour would be mine, but we may dispute over English and American spelling!
5 years

Chapters

Thanks built
5 years

Chapters

Hmm... something peculiar seems to have happened! I have a story I want to write, but no matter how hard I try the ‘write chapter’ section is missing. In the ‘write a story’ bit where you write an introduction looks mucked up too!?!...
5 years

Abuse for stories.

I am not a troll. I agree my writing involves a certain amount of abuse. However it is not done for the implicit reason of attracting further abuse. I Invent the characters, put them in certain situations and just see what happens after that.
Actually I have had very little criticism from this site, only praise, which tells me they are liked and people read them.
I was actually trying to help you in your writing. Know the difference between abuse and criticism.
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Thanks Built, I get your meaning about typing in the iPad, but I’m used to it now! It can be annoying, but it can also be useful, because it means you check each sentence as you go.
5 years
123   loading