Unexpected deletions

Aha! I’ve just thought of the perfect solution! Write in word on the iPad in bed when I can’t sleep, then in the morning, open up word via the cloud and then cut and paste into FF! Yeah!
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Good idea about writing it up somewhere else, but I find I’m best writing just before I go to sleep in bed. I used to write the old fashioned way with a pen and a large exersise book plus lots of scribbling out!
I have progressed to my iPad as it is as portable to use as an exersise book, plus I can do it in the dark when I can’t sleep. Doing it on the big computer means I’ve got to get up! I have tried writing on the big computer, but I tend to get tied up with the technical bits and the ideas don’t flow so well. I have word on my iPad too, but it’s not very good at cutting and pasting large amounts of text, I find. Maybe I’m doing that wrong too... I could write a little bit, cut and paste, then write a little bit more, but, I know when the story starts to flow, I’ll forget and I’ll end up transferring 20 chapters a couple of lines at a time!
Well at least I don’t write on my phone! The screen is so small, how can you possibly read back your sentences and check for errors?
I suppose I will have to make some compromises. Either get up and write on the big computer when i can’t sleep and sacrifice some of the artistic flow, or continue to write on my iPad and take the risk of losing the odd chapter or two when glitches occur.
5 years

Fantasized about not being able to poop? weird topic i know...

Constipation is not something to fantasise about. It can be a very painful crippling condition. The bowel can become so distended that it can rupture. On other occasions, people have had to go to theatre and have an operation to have bowel obstructions (due to constipation) removed. I have also heard of at least two cases in the elderly of people getting so constipated and distended that the bowel pressed on the diaphragm, impeding the lungs ability to expand and leading to death.
During any operation, a muscle relaxant is given along with the anaesthetic. This prevents involuntary muscle twitches that could hinder the surgeons while they are operating. This muscle relaxant also affects the bowel, which, post operatively can be slow to get moving again, which can result in bloating, ‘wind’ and severe constipation. This is exacerbated by the use of strong analgesics post op, which are also very constipating.
This type of constipation is not relieved by a few mls of lactulose or a couple of senna. Two glycerin suppositories will not work either. A micro lax enema might be enough to start things off, a fletcher’s phosphate enema might work too. The best remedy (apart from dynorod who usually fix drains) is to go in with all guns blazing, with a rectal catheter attached to the end of the enema. Use a bit of KY jelly on the tip of the catheter. Warm the enema before use in a sink or jug of hot water. Lie the patient on their left side (it has to be the left because of the way the large bowel goes), have the patient draw up their knees and be as relaxed as possible and then insert the catheter as far as you can until you feel resistance. Now squeeze the warm liquid into the bowel. The patient has to attempt to hold the enema in situ for at least 20 minutes before going to the toilet, but often can not manage that long and has to run!
‘Hot and high’ usually does the trick.
In the olden day’s they would use an ‘enema saponis’, which was a pint and a half of a soap and water solution.
Maybe this rather medical reply answers your question!
5 years

Long, drawn out stories

I personally do not like the extremely short stories. I tend not to bother reading anything less than five chapters as the ones that are less than that are often unfinished, or so poorly written that I struggle to get beyond chapter one anyway.
I prefer a story with chapters longer than the minimum 2000 words too as the writer had time to develop a theme. However, I do understand that a writer may wish to put in a short chapter amongst the long ones for literary effect. I have read books before where one chapter = one word. But that one word is very well chosen to heighten the suspense!
Maybe I don’t like the fap because I’ve got a female mind!
5 years

Story with furturisric ai theme?

Ive done one on aliens taking over the world, if that’s any good. It’s called ‘takeover bid’
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Has anyone else had problems with unexpected deletions while they are writing?
In the last hour, I was in the middle of writing a chapter when suddenly, the page disappeared and went back to the page that shows all your chapters.
I was disappointed, but I understand glitches happen. It just meant that I had to go back a little way to my last save point. So I went to go back into the chapter and the whole chapter deleted itself! No warning. Nothing!
This is not the first time I’ve had unexpected chapter deletions. I wouldn’t mind so much, but when you have spent time on a chapter, getting into character’s heads and such, it interrupts the artistic flow. Now I have to go back to think about where my character was at the end of the last chapter. It’s like going back in time, most disturbing!
5 years

Abuse for stories.

I agree with bbwcreator. A proper writer should ne able to take practical criticism. It is not abuse.
I have criticised several writers on here for poor English, poor spelling and poor grammar. There is no excuse for this. Poor punctuation and poor sentence structure can spoil how a story reads. The reader should not have to keep stopping to work out the jist of what you are saying. A piece of writing should have a flow to it.
I know my writing is not perfect. I know I make mistakes. If people criticise me, I will aim to make improvements, based on those criticisms. I appreciate there are some new writers on here who have never written before. If someone tells you your writing is shite, you have to think why. Go back and read the story yourself. Does it make sense?
If it doesn’t, edit it, correct it, improve it.

Many writers on here are not descriptive enough. They write as if they are having a conversation. Writing is so much more than that. You could say ‘Bill sat in the chair.’ Or you could say ‘Bill sat down carefully on the red chair.’ Already the second sentence is making the reader ask questions. Why did he sit down carefully? Is the colour red significant?
If I am reading a story, I want to know more about the leading character than simply, ‘he went to college.’
Oh, did he? Whoop-de-do for him! What does he look like, how does he feel about his appearance? Where does he live, where does he work? Describe his standard working day, then introduce other characters, if necessary.
5 years
123   loading