Say no to fat jokes on tv!

Adam Hills has consistently fantastic politics. He usually has one show that's signed in each city on his tours. Check out his show Characterful, which is on youtube starting at:

It's not pompous or upright at all-- he's just clear that humour doesn't have to be at anyone's expense. And while I'm not at all for censoring comics, I LOOOVE it when they get that.
11 years

Job denied for being fat

As I said in another thread, there are places with laws against weight discrimination. One could check to see if one lived in such a place, and if not, one could consider starting up a campaign to pass such a law. Such campaigns take lots of time and money, but someone's gotta start 'em.
12 years

More anti fat propaganda

Just a quick question:

How come none of these events ever makes us start an online petition against vilifying little fat kids?

There are only about a dozen sites where you can put up political (in the widest sense) petitions... Then you just go around posting info about it to likeminded sites, send your friends some emails, and voila, you've got a public response to the nasty, demeaning nonsense.
12 years

Kinda upset but not.....

I agree with what all the other posters have said, but I want to add one thing:

For me, what made me stop feeling bad was working up the courage to respond--politely but strongly--to those comments. If you can figure out a sentence that works for you, so you don't have to think in the shock and hurt of the moment, you can stop people in their tracks. After a few times, they stop doing it any more.

Here are a few possibilities:

'Thanks, but I get my medical advice from my physician.'

'Thanks, but I'm quite aware of my size, and of the risks. Fortunately, they are less than the risks of the eating disorders I suffered from earlier.'

'I'll let you know if I'm looking for nutritional advice.'

And the least polite, which my father once told me I had permission to say to the school nurse: 'Better to be fat in the ass than fat in the head.' smiley
12 years

Flourless peanut butter cookies

Also great for diabetics--just make 'em with fake sugar. Still lots of calories. You can also mix in choc chips OR stick a piece of choc in the center when they're halfway done.

A wonderful feeder chef who used to be here taught me those. Miss him.
12 years

Glee's new plus sized story line

Bekka78 wrote
I can't tell you how many girls in my high school deserved a really good old fashioned *** kicking.

While I personally like "Fat Bottomed Girls", I don't know that it's the first love song that I would choose to be serenaded with. Yeah, I'm a fat chick, but that doesn't mean I don't like "normal" love songs, lol. I will admit though to having that song as my ringtone. smiley

Totally with you about the ass kicking.

As for "Fat Bottomed Girls", I thought it was pure genius. She owns him about it, so that he gets told in no uncertain terms that it *wasn't* flattering. It was one of my favourite moments of the episode.

I'm holding my breath, but loving it so far.
13 years

Being stuck in the 'fat closet'

You need to face your fears as you would any other. How did your Dad tell you to face your fear of bicycles after you fell off one? Get back on. How do you cure your fear of diving in the deep end of the pool? By diving in. Just. Do. It.

In the meantime, however, and I mean this absolutely sincerely: you should stop dating. You have no right to hurt people while you're trying to get man enough to date the women who turn you on. Talk to a therapist, or take some valium before you take your date home, or whatever you need to do to get over yourself. But until then, stop doing damage to the kind, thoughtful people around you who have no idea how very thoughtless you are when you're dating them. I know that sounds harsh, but you are hurting real people with real feelings. Stop it.

Figure the problem out. THEN date. Simple.
13 years

Stairs

Elevator/lift only for me.
13 years
12345   loading